2 folds, Hero bets $0.25, 2 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.55) 10, Q, 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.35, BB calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.25) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.25) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero folds

Total pot: $1.25 | Rake: $0.06

Hey, villain was pritty unknown, do you think a 2nd barrel would be better in this spot or should I just take the freecard to improve?
  • 7 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Flop: Same concept as what I mentioned in the other hand - Bet larger. When your betting range in a particular spot is strong, you should use larger sizes. The converse is true when our range is weak.

For example, on a AXX board, our range is going to contain a ton of air, and besides a smaller bet does the same trick of folding out air hands like 78s so we should be betting smaller.

On the other hand, on a QT8 board, there are a ton of draws. We are not going to be cbet bluffing this board often so our betting range here is going to be really strong and we are often going to multi-barrel anyway so it makes more sense to build the pot up more on the Flop.

Turn: I would bet the Turn again, and probably fire most non-pairing Rivers. I think villain is going to call with a ton of AJ/89/JT type of hands and fold the River after that.

Thanks.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      Can you explain the principal difference between this hand where you suggest to fire 2nd barrel with the intention of bluff 3rd one and the hand from this thread where I was suggested to take check behind?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Could u link me to the other hand? I cant find it and i dont rmb what i said.

For this hand i just like betting turn cos you have so mcuh equity with the oesd and u have decent fe on the turn and river where u could fold out many pair plus draws by the river.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      Oh sorry, I didn't mention the link, here it goes:
      [SH] BUvBB
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      it boils down to whether you think you have enough fold equity on the Turn and River. this is dependent on
      -player type (loose or tight)
      -board texture
      -hand range

for this hand here, i would argue that you do have some fold equity on the turn vs hands like A8/K8 and maybe AT/KT, while hands like T9/79/89/JT will probably call Turn and fold River. With the OESD I think 3-barreling is fine. I'm not sure how often you'll get a fold from QX though, when everything misses but it's possible.

A:dJ - This is almost always a bet for me. We have so much equity here that we don't need villain to fold too many hands for it to be profitable. River could be a bet or a check depending on tendencies of villain. but i'm pretty sure the turn bet in itself is +EV when you have 12 outs to improve, maybe the ace is good too.

A:hJ - I'm not sure if 3barrel is the best line here but i think it's reasonable. certainly better than betting twice. i think villain's range has many pair+draw hands which will fold river so it's a bet 1 or 3 streets spot. i don't like betting twice cos i don't think you have much FE on the turn alone.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      Thanks for your opinion! I see different people have different thoughts and probably all of them are right :)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      well there can only be one best option. The best option is not clear though, if you don't have enough info on villain's tendencies.