MarliesB

• MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm MarliesB and I'm going through the beginners course to improve my poker skills. I currently play NL5 zoom on pokerstars, and I'm up $80 over 18k hands (little over 12BB/100).
  • 32 replies
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Done lesson 1 today. Kind of have read all these articles before.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.) I play poker because it's fun (and time-consuming) while making some profit on it. Otherwise, I'd just be playing league of legends, what in my opinion is worse to have as hobby.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      I'm having a hard time putting down overpairs. I also call too much raises on wet boards while having toppair. I don't know how to play a lot of hands OOP (thus vulnerable to blindsteals) and probably many more weaknesses I'm not fully aware of.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      Playing tight means only playing the stronger selection of hands (like the best 20% or so). Later positions have more playable hands than early positions.
      Agressive means not simply calling, but betting yourself and raising. This works because people make mistakes when you pressure them, instead of always check/calling
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by MarliesB
      Hi, I'm MarliesB and I'm going through the beginners course to improve my poker skills. I currently play NL5 zoom on pokerstars, and I'm up $80 over 18k hands (little over 12BB/100).
      Hello MarliesB,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Done lesson 1 today. Kind of have read all these articles before.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.) I play poker because it's fun (and time-consuming) while making some profit on it. Otherwise, I'd just be playing league of legends, what in my opinion is worse to have as hobby.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      I'm having a hard time putting down overpairs. I also call too much raises on wet boards while having toppair. I don't know how to play a lot of hands OOP (thus vulnerable to blindsteals) and probably many more weaknesses I'm not fully aware of.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      Playing tight means only playing the stronger selection of hands (like the best 20% or so). Later positions have more playable hands than early positions.
      Agressive means not simply calling, but betting yourself and raising. This works because people make mistakes when you pressure them, instead of always check/calling
      Congrats,

Lesson 1 complete !

Q1: I'm happy you chose Poker over LoL which is just a time sink. Of course you should relax occasionally and then LoL can come in handy :)

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Let's get this started again, shall we?
      Since after my exams I've pretty much just been running equal in NL5-NL10. I really have to work on tilt issues. I've been throwing 30$ away at least a few times because of bad beats or I don't know. Also I think I can play somewhat profitably if I select a table with atleast 1 noted fish or limper, but I lose a hell lot of money on zoom tables (NL5). I recently joined unibet, but I don't find it that much of a goldmine with those anonymous tables. (And even there I lose a lot of money on zoom, I'm such a fish still..)

Anyway, I've read most of the articles before already so I think I'll be cross-reading those.

Lesson 2 homework:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

I may 3bet JJ/TT sometimes but that depends on positions and villain.
      Preflop I open all pocketpairs regardless of position. If I get 3bet a lot I'll leave some lower pairs out.
      AQ can be 3bet profitably most of the times.
      I can call with suited aces from middle position if somebody raised and I'm in position, especially A2-A5. Same for suited connectors.
      CO/BUT I open more to steal of course. Any ace, suited kings, 8x+ etc..
      Of course, most of these hands are determined by table conditions.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      I think my preflop play is mostly fine.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      AKo: 46,32%
      Top 5%: 53,68%
      It's a small underdog but when you hit an A or K you dominate most of the hands, aswell as when neither hand hits (except for the pp's).
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      While reading 'How to play after the flop' I had a question and I think this is the best place to put it.
      As seen in 'Example 10: overpair', is it really best to raise the flop?
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1550/1/

Preflop: You have 99
      CU raises to 4BB, Hero (BUT) calls.
      Flop: 2d3d5h
      CU bets 6BB, Hero raises to 20 BB.
      Reasoning behind it seems pretty logic, shame I've never used this before.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Lesson 3:

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      I use pokertracker's equity calculator.

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)
      Preflop we have 50.78%
      On the flop we have 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I'd call since we get good pot odds for our flushdraw and villain seems to have either a strong made hand quite often so we have some implied odds too.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      I've let evaluate over 100 hands or so but for the sake of homework, here's a link ;)
      Nl10 J9
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Well done Marlie,

Homework 2 & 3 are now done.

Even though you use pokertracker's equity calculator I recommend that you give equilab a shot. I think it's superior to any other tool out there and it's free.

Re: your 99 hand question

I agree that raising flop may seem a bit light but it comes down to the player. If you have a weaker opponent that calls light (with draws, pairs) we can raise. Or if we have a spot where we have an aggressive image with another individual (like villain in this hand). Otherwise it is a bit light.

Keep up the good work,

Bogdan
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      I'm quite experienced with the hand review forum, but here's a link anyway ;)
      Nl5 Aq 260813

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)
      Darn coaches why are you so active, most hands are already evaluated!
      Reraised OTT, folding overpair?

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?
      I also calculated it with equilab because you asked ;)
      We have 41.41% equity.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Question to the coach:
      Please see example 25 here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1566/4/
      Which weaker hands can call if we shove (less than half pot) here? Are we looking purely at 2pair here?
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Lesson 5 homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      A lot of the times I use stats like cbet flop, AF to base my decisions on, but I don't specifically remember when I use stats for it or when like the board is just really suitable... I do remember a recent hand where I 4bet bluffed with 99 because villain had a really high 3bet stat, but coaches told me that I should better 4bet bluff a hand with blockers such as AQ or so. (But damn, it's hard to find the link).

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)
      NL10 SH Zoom - AKo

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6Diamond , 7Diamond
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3Diamond , 3Heart , TDiamond (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) JDiamond (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

I think we should raise because we want to protect from higher flush redraws. Villains may be holding Jx and button is a fish.
      If they reraise or shove I think a fold is best since we only have a 7-high flushdraw and villain may have a better one.
      On a sidenote, what is the average AF of: passive / normal / agressive player?

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with JHeart , JSpade
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6Heart , 9Spade , TClub (2 players)
      Hero...

We have a decent value hand but I think too weak to resist a lot of action in a 3bet pot. So I would check because villain seems to be rather agressive and I think he will cbet a lot of the times, and we can call. I think if we lead out, our agressive opponent may 3bet a lot and we'd have to fold.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Lesson 6 homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      Here's a multiway situation: Nl4 97

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)
      Nl10 KQo

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with QHeart , JHeart
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3Heart , JClub , ADiamond (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) QClub (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

I'm torn between calling and raising. If he wasn't a station he couldn't represent anything but a flushdraw and I'd raise. But I think the calling station can call with AQ, QQ. I think I'll go for a 3bet/fold because the station can call with flushdraws or maybe worse queens and is usually not aggro except with very strong hands.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Lesson 7 homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed). (Post your hand in the No Limit: Hand Evaluations forum, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      Pick any, I only play 6max.
      Nl4 88

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members (Choose a hand from the No Limit: Hand Evaluations board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)
      nl16 - 5h4h

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5heart , 4heart
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3spade , 2Heart , Qheart (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

I'd call.
      We need 28% equity (right? :D )
      With our clean outs from the straight we already have about 24 (6*4) so our ~36% equity from the flushdraw doesn't have to be live very often.
      Also I don't think SB has a flushdraw very often. He can't simply call with a non-nutflushdraw and I think he'd lead out a nutflushdraw often.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Aclub , Kspade
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) Aspade , 4club , 4diamond (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

If he's fishy I'd raise with the intention to shove because I think he can shove with a lot of Ax and AA/A4/44 are only 6 combinations.
      If he's not so fishy I'd call and reevaluate turn because then I'm not so sure he'll stack off with something like AT/AJ
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Lesson 8 homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the No Limit: Hand Evaluations board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      Nl4 66 300813

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. ( Choose a hand from the No Limit: Hand Evaluations board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)
      NL50 topset

$100 NL Hold'em (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($100)
      UTG+1 ($100)
      MP1 ($100)
      MP2 ($100)
      Hero ($100)
      CO ($100)
      BU ($100)
      SB ($100)
      BB ($100) (18/15/3.7/23/732)[VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8heart , 9heart
      4 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, 3 folds, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($8.50) 3heart , 6Heart , 8diamond (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50 BB calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.50) Jheart (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero...

I'd bet about 2/3 pot because I assume we have the best hand and villain is unlikely to have a (better) flushdraw. Also, I think the agressive villain would not play his flushdraw passively. With betting we also protect from redraws for flushes and FH's.

BONUS Question 4 (optional question): Consider the following situation:

$200 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      MP2 (Hero) ($327.95)
      MP3 ($207.45)
      CO ($415.55) (TAG)
      BU ($373.60) (TAG)
      SB ($200.00)
      BB ($218.00)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7heart , 8heart
      Hero raises to $7, 1 folds, CO raises to $23, BU calls $23, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($72) 7club , 8spade , 8diamond (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $52, Hero calls, CO calls

Turn: ($228) Kdiamond (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU checks

River: ($228) Qheart (3 players)
      Hero bets $110, CO raises to $340.55 (All-in), BU folds, Hero?

What factors and concepts that you have learned so far would you use in evaluating this situation? What would your action be?

Villain is a TAG so his 3bet range is either premium hands (JJ+,AK) or bluffs like AT or so which are air on this board.
      I don't think villain will bluff like this very often, he rather has us crushed with QQ/KK and he would never shove AK like this.

So because this is a 3bet pot and we can put villains on a premium range, maybe it's better to check/raise the flop? I think villain will cbet KK+ or maybe even QQ+ for value because the 8 is unlikely to hit our range. It might be hard to get him to shove because the board is paired but at least we protect from overcards which may give villain a better FH.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      I'm quite experienced with the hand review forum, but here's a link anyway ;)
      Nl5 Aq 260813

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)
      Darn coaches why are you so active, most hands are already evaluated!
      Reraised OTT, folding overpair?

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?
      I also calculated it with equilab because you asked ;)
      We have 41.41% equity.
      Congrats,

Homework #4 is complete.

Don't be afraid to evaluate a hand in which a coach has already responded.

Give your thoughts and then look at what the coach said.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question to the coach:
      Please see example 25 here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1566/4/
      Which weaker hands can call if we shove (less than half pot) here? Are we looking purely at 2pair here?
      Given the amount of money in the pot vs the bet we make you may get even TP to call you, but otherwise 2p.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      And it looks like you have completed homeworks 5 through 8.

Keep up the great work and don't be afraid to post questions here as well.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Can I now do the final exam?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Can I now do the final exam?
      Yes, go for it :)

You should be ready.

As a side note, how's the actual poker going?
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Not that good, had to start over because of bad BRM. I had some money left on a site, like 90$. I'm now doing NL4 (currently at 105$) til I have 150$, then I give a shot at pokerstars NL10 again (mainly hunting fishes). NL4 is going good so far, lots of bad players and I'm averaging 12,5 BB/100 (ALL-In equity adj 20BB/100). Might be an upswing, we'll never know.

I'm going to do the exam now. Do I use this thread kind as a blog?

EDIT: finished quiz ;)