wondering...

• kokuzbaksuz
      kokuzbaksuz
      Bronze
      Hi, me again.

I just finished tournament at FTP $2+$0.25 and was third and won some money but something was strange at the end. Last 25-30 hands all I got was pure thrash cards.. nothing to play with and all my stock was gone while the other guy was getting all big pocket cards. Could it be there's a chance that there's some kind of predetermination who is going to win in the end or it was just pure luck. It was kind of too obvious....
      Anyway, I started playing on friday and my balance is almost tripled and I made some money on both tournaments I played in.
      Another thing...
      I mostly play the way the strategy for sng suggests and it works, but sometimes I get such a good feeling about cards that it's hard to resist and usually if I decide to play with those cards, it turns out to be good choice.
      Is it wrong to follow one's feeling even if it's not according to the "book" of strategy we learn from here?
      Thank everyone for your inputs and thoughts and advices. It means a lot...

Kokuzbaksuz
  • 4 replies
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hi kokuzbaksuz

first of all congratulations to your 3rd place finish=)
      I personally don't believe that the pokersites rig their tournaments. I think it was just bad luck. Next time maybe you will get all the good hands and will finish 1st who knows ;)
      The problem with hands that are not listed in the starting hands chart is, that especially beginners have problems to play them profitable postflop. They get in big pots with marginal hands and loose a lot of money.
      The strategy is not all knowing so of course it's possible to play hands that are not listed there but you should have good postflop experience otherwise I would advise you to just to stick to the strategy.
      But it should be reasonable hands. Not that you think: i've got such a good feeling with 72o I'll just call his raise and see what the flop brings ;)

Best regards,
      Chiller3k
    • kokuzbaksuz
      kokuzbaksuz
      Bronze
      Hi Chiller,

No, I was not talking about good feeling about 7,2 type of hands, but hands like JT, Q9, K9, T9 and similar. But I was getting all 7,2 type of hands on the end of that tournament. Do you know maybe where I could learn some finer points of playing final table with not-so-good-hands and if PS maybe have some strategy suggestions about the topic?

Grateful for your help...

Kokuzbaksuz
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hello again =)

Yes we have an article about playing at a final table.
      But unfortunately it's for silver members and above only :\
      But I'm sure you'll be able to read it within one or two weeks or even faster =)
      here it is:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/145/

Greets,
      Chiller3k
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Hi kokuzbaksuz,

To answer your questions:

Is it wrong to follow one's feeling even if it's not according to the "book" of strategy we learn from here?

yes, it is. Poker is a rational game, feelings aren't very usefull in poker.

but hands like JT, Q9, K9, T9 and similar.

Early on, I wouldn't play these hands. The hands that the Starting hand chart suggests are the hands that are profitable to play. Only exeption is if no raise was in front of us, but a bunch of callers, and we get the right pot odds.