Tips on multi tabling

• kalimann
      kalimann
      Basic
      Righto, so I can comfortably and with ease play at least two tables at a time, three are also just fine. I won't feel stressed etc. But as soon as there's four tables, I feel like the energy level it takes to constantly be aware of the seperate games is not worth it. It's like you don't get to grab a feel of what happens at each table. When I play with two or three, I can start out playing tight and while I figure out each player's style, I can try to interject at the correct time to make a bluff or know when to lay down.
      But playing four or more tables seem like such a stretch, like it becomes real ABC poker where it's hard to figure out what your opponent is doing, you're playing by the book and it's hard to keep track of the history of the table and what's happened.
      To me it seems like economic suicide when people talk about 10 or as much as 14 tables. I've even seen 50 tables on the net.

What tips do you have for multi tabling? Are there any goods articles on it? And what are your thoughts and experiences on it?
  • 11 replies
    • SRBSavic1
      SRBSavic1
      Bronze
      play longer on the tables ur confortable with, then just later on add 1, 24 tableing atm...
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Why even multitable?

2 years ago multitabling was the hype... Everyone started playing and tried to move up to as many tables as possible... However lately, people started to play less tables, and focus on those more (probably because the overall level of players is much better, so it's harder to outplay them).

By playing less tables, you may not earn as much money, however your play will improve a lot more, because you'll be really focused on every decision.

I really think you should add tables only when you fell 100% comfortable, and think it doesn't affect your play.
    • kalimann
      kalimann
      Basic
      Can people post screen shots of their multi tabling? I'd like to see their setups.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by kalimann
      Can people post screen shots of their multi tabling? I'd like to see their setups.
      Not really necessary for me.

I have dual 1920x1080 monitors, and use XP. My taskbar is on the right-hand side of the monitor.
      I size the tables so that they are xxx x 540
      I have 4 tables on my primary monitor.
      The secondary monitor holds everything else -- lobby windows, HM2 and whatever else I feel like putting there.

I occasionally play more then 4 tables.
      I have stacked them, tiled them and overlapped them, but prefer 4 tiled.

I think that people who play SnGs play more tables, because many more of the decisions are "automatic"

Also, I sometimes play 2 or 3 tables normal cash, and 1 speed table.

I agree completely with Skodljivec & SRBSavic1 about comfort.
      Play two tables until you find yourself waiting what seems like a long time between hands. Then add another table.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      I can comfortably playing 6-9 tables on my laptop. I play NL10 SH and can follow all tables. I use ~6 stats HUD

Nothing special with my setup. I just use default setup (Alt+9 on Stars, and multitabling tab on Ipoker)
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk
      I can comfortably playing 6-9 tables on my laptop. I play NL10 SH and can follow all tables. I use ~6 stats HUD

Nothing special with my setup. I just use default setup (Alt+9 on Stars, and multitabling tab on Ipoker)
      When you say follow all tables, what exactly do you mean by this? I am always curious as to how exactly people are coping.

I also play 6-9 tables and NL10SH.

For me I have the following thresholds:

@4 tables I can observe almost every action on every table, eg, notice who is raising, what lines are being taken etc.

@6 tables I cannot notice everything anymore, so pots that I'm not in slip my attention now unless they are decent sized. But I still have enough time to look at certain stats in popups to exploit weaknesses

@9 tables I can only really go off the main stats in my HUD and only see pots on other tables if they're all-ins, I have 11 stats in the main HUD and will only use extra stats via popups if I'm facing a tough decision. 9 tables gives me the highest hourly.

@12tables I can only play ABC poker and glance at VPIP/PFR/AF, minimal adjustments and subsequent drop in winrate. Feels pretty stressful too.

I want to know if people can play 9 tables and see everything that's going on on all 9 tables cos that seems crazy to me, but so does playing even the most ABC poker on 24 tables. Nanonoko saying he doesn't autopilot on 24 tables is just a total mindfuck. I am also scared to get better at multitabling cos of Leatherass' writing on how its bad for your brain :f_eek:
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      When you say follow all tables, what exactly do you mean by this? I am always curious as to how exactly people are coping.

I mean I can play my "A" game. I can play as good as fewer table (At least me think so).

BTW, I might be not observing tables as detailed as you. For example: I can spot if villain behind me 3bet me a lot, but I don't care if someone 4bet light me a lot ( not bothered to see HUD 4bet either).

I try to play as simple as possible. For example: to define fish/reg, I just need to see his VPIP/PFR/Hands and stack size. I'm too lazy to memorizing his showdown hands, cbet size, c/r, etc. So by playing like this, I think I dont need to use HUD too much. I use HUD only to spot fish, so my hud only contain minimal info:
      VPIP/PFR/Hands
      3b/cb/fold cb
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      Metza, what do you mean it's bad for our brains? Please explain or tell me where I can go and read for myself. THanks
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk

I mean I can play my "A" game. I can play as good as fewer table (At least me think so).

BTW, I might be not observing tables as detailed as you. For example: I can spot if villain behind me 3bet me a lot, but I don't care if someone 4bet light me a lot ( not bothered to see HUD 4bet either).

I try to play as simple as possible. For example: to define fish/reg, I just need to see his VPIP/PFR/Hands and stack size. I'm too lazy to memorizing his showdown hands, cbet size, c/r, etc. So by playing like this, I think I dont need to use HUD too much. I use HUD only to spot fish, so my hud only contain minimal info:
      VPIP/PFR/Hands
      3b/cb/fold cb
      Whew, this sounds like how I play 9 tables as well. Except I do feel like my overall game increases when I remove tables.

I always wonder if there are many people out there though who can play 12 tables or something and just notice everything that's going on on all tables. It seems impossible to me because even trying to see every little thing on 4 tables is a bit stressful, but playing 30+ tables also seems impossible and there's guys that do that sooo...

@PPP: http://dustyschmidt.net/2013/02/this-is-my-brain-on-poker/. It's just one opinion though. There are plenty of masstablers who deal with it fine (or keep it quiet :f_biggrin: )
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza

@PPP: http://dustyschmidt.net/2013/02/this-is-my-brain-on-poker/. It's just one opinion though. There are plenty of masstablers who deal with it fine (or keep it quiet :f_biggrin: )
      What he is talking about in that blog post is about stress. It depends to each person how he handles the stress. From his point of view every job that's stressful should not exist, talk about managing a department or a company.

For example: some people like extreme sports, while others are frightened about this idea. I personally like them. I need to be excited by a bigger dose of emotion (than norm) so I can put my focus into it; without it I won't excell in that thing or I need to have negative motivation: something that I value must be taken from me if I don't that thing.

Also it's not that simple, black and white, you have to take into consideration the person's personality: is he introverted or extraverted, is he a shy person or not, does he have a personality disorder, generally speaking is he more of an emotional person or an analitical one and so on.

Summed up, that guy in that blog post, simply spent most of his time in front of his computer. He said that in time became anxious and his social skills lowered. This is simply behaviorsm, it's conditioning. You get good at what you spend most of your time.
    • JaredTendler
      JaredTendler
      Coach
      Coach
      I wrote this article for PS a bit ago about multi-tabling. Perhaps it may help. Multi-tabling is a skill like any other - it improves the more you work on it. So long as you're working on it in the right way.

If you have any questions about it, or others for me, you can post them in my Q&A thread.

Best to you.