[NL20-NL50] QTs vs 4bet

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 158 BB (VPIP: 18.36, PFR: 13.73, 3Bet Preflop: 5.12, Hands: 939)
      CO: 137.38 BB (VPIP: 28.51, PFR: 24.68, 3Bet Preflop: 10.26, Hands: 731)
      Hero (BTN): 233.5 BB
      SB: 101.5 BB (VPIP: 26.12, PFR: 21.88, 3Bet Preflop: 8.08, Hands: 980)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T:spade: Q:spade:

CO raises to 2.5 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, fold, CO raises to 19 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

Flop: (39.5 BB, 2 players) K:club: J:club: 6:spade:
      CO bets 14 BB, Hero calls 14 BB

Turn: (67.5 BB, 2 players) K:spade:
      CO checks, Hero checks

River: (67.5 BB, 2 players) 9:club:
      CO checks, Hero bets 50.62 BB, CO calls 50.62 BB

CO shows Q:diamond: Q:heart: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens) (Pre 84%, Flop 65%, Turn 66%)
      Hero shows T:spade: Q:spade: (Straight, King High) (Pre 16%, Flop 35%, Turn 34%)
      Hero wins 164.74 BB

I am almost never cold calling 4bet, but I started thinking about calling with suited hands, and trapping QQ+ to balance bluffs. I could do it vs aggro 4betters.

I am not sure if I should avoid that? It happens sometimes that people cbet and check fold, or c/f flop, but sometimes also cbet and check/raise turn where my bluff is expensive (if I call with suited).

so how would you proceed on flop if opponent cbets and we dont hit board well? Would you always give up or float on some boards? What if he hit one pair? Would it be ok shove after cbet?
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: I think it's fine to call the 4b here after 3betting. He made it pretty small and you have enough stack depth left behind to have some postflop playability

Flop: Standard call, don't see any point in raising

Turn: We have so much equity in the hand, we can definitely bet 50% pot and call a check/push here with around 25-30% equity vs most shoving ranges

River: Most hands got there so I think you have to bluff here. I would often check back the Turn with some club draws too.

About your general questions

Basically don't fold if you flop some sort of equity. It's really hard to answer such questions. Assign your opponent to a range, see how he connects with each board, and see how your hand fares vs that range, and also consider your future street playability.

2 broadway boards and QXX flops favour you cos your flatting range is mostly suited broadways and connectors. AXX boards favour the 4better cos he usually 4bets AX hands.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Preflop: I think it's fine to call the 4b here after 3betting. He made it pretty small and you have enough stack depth left behind to have some postflop playability

Flop: Standard call, don't see any point in raising

Turn: We have so much equity in the hand, we can definitely bet 50% pot and call a check/push here with around 25-30% equity vs most shoving ranges

River: Most hands got there so I think you have to bluff here. I would often check back the Turn with some club draws too.

About your general questions

Basically don't fold if you flop some sort of equity. It's really hard to answer such questions. Assign your opponent to a range, see how he connects with each board, and see how your hand fares vs that range, and also consider your future street playability.

2 broadway boards and QXX flops favour you cos your flatting range is mostly suited broadways and connectors. AXX boards favour the 4better cos he usually 4bets AX hands.

Why do you say that on river I have to bluff? I was actually value betting with straight. You would check back flush because you are afraid of him having a FH? IT would be just JJ, or KK. 99 I doubt that he would 4bet. I was targeting QQ, AK, AA, AJ. I was even considering going all in to get called by those hands but it would be probably overplay. I was not afraid of flush at all, because he would play it more aggro
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Ooops for some reason i didn't register the fact that you had a flush. That's an easy value bet for sure, kept thinking u had a busted draw.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by mbml
      Ooops for some reason i didn't register the fact that you had a flush. That's an easy value bet for sure, kept thinking u had a busted draw.
      I had a straight, not flush :) But I guess no difference, still value bet ?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      yea a straight i mean, keep typing wrong stuff

Yes definitely value betting a straight here.