[NL20-NL50] NL25 FR: AA on the roll

• Michailewic
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: , A:club:
      UTG+1 calls $0,25, UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $1,25, 6 folds, UTG+1 calls $1,00.

Flop: ($2,85) 3:spade: , 5:club: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $2,00, UTG+1 raises to $5,00, Hero calls $3,00.

Turn: ($12,85) A:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $7,00, Hero raises to $20,69 (All-In), UTG+1 raises to $19,10 (All-In).

River: ($52,64) K:diamond:

Final Pot: $52,64

Check-raise on the flop by preflop coldcaller usually means a strong hand, such as a set, two pairs, overpair or sometimes a top pair. However, folding with overpair (being AA) to almost minraise would be very week even on such dry board. What would be a corect action on the turn if Ace did not hit? And what if a king hit the turn and villain would have made such bet on the turn?

Villain's likely hands (based on information from the flop): straight draw and two pairs are unlikely (however, once I was called with J8o which hit two pairs - but I was lucky and hit beter two pairs on the river) - top pair week kicker (such as suited connectors), overpair and set are possible hands of villain. Hero knows villain to be a good player (TAG) (when hero joins the table where this villain is, villain is usually deep stack) and hero does not like to play against this villain. Moreover, villain knows me and I think he knows my cbets.

PS: This night is great. I had so many pocket aces and won each of them (as I remember) - even if some villains hit two pair or set on the flop and had only overpair on the flop.
  • 3 replies
    • Faye6891
      Well, UTG's stats shows that he's somewhat passive, so that means he will usually have a pretty strong hand on the flop, possibly a set given his a tight player who limped UTG.

But, you say he knows you and might be trying to make a move here since he knows you c-bet with nothing, so calling might be good here since you got position, but I'd give up if villain continued his aggression on the turn. I don't think he'd fire again without a strong hand (at least not too often).

Well, but since you hit your set on the turn, nice for you. :D

P.S.: Nice to hear you had a great night! :)
      I haven't been running too well this past week, been running into a lot of AA and KK (while holding AK, QQ, KK), and when I have the best hand... they suck out on me. So, I've been losing some days... breaking even other days... :P
      Fortunately, I've lost only about 1.5 buy-in. :D
    • kukac26
      Anything but a flopped set doesn't make much sense (call raise OOP with A8, A5? Then think you're cbetting with AK? Not likely).

If the Ace didn't hit you'd be probably calling and losing some of your money.

Nice to hear things are working out for you :)
    • Kaitz20
      Player with stats 13/2/1,7
      You´ll almost never face overpair or top pair on that board if get c/r.
      So the best way to play AA on that board is bet/fold.
      Or if you think that is too weak then call flop, fold turn ui.