[NL20-NL50] 25NL - AQs river decision

• nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Just a small hand to check line.

Villain is 22/17
      He cbets 77/64/67

I had reasons for not 3betting...I forget exactly what they were but I probably I wanted to dominate his range. Either that or recent dynamics.

Anyway:

SB: £27.73
      Hero (BB): £69.26
      UTG: £41.48
      CO: £26.01
      BTN: £49.27

SB posts SB £0.12, Hero posts BB £0.25

Pre Flop: (£0.37) Hero has Q:diamond: A:diamond:

fold, fold, BTN raises to £0.75, fold, Hero calls £0.50

Flop: (£1.62, 2 players) 6:diamond: 3:club: A:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN bets £1.25, Hero calls £1.25

Turn: (£4.12, 2 players) 5:club:
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (£4.12, 2 players) J:spade:
      Hero checks, BTN bets £3.50, Hero?

I can't call here right? He's never vbetting worse? And I don't think there's any point in him bluffing because I can't really have any missed draws...so my perceived range his very Ax-heavy
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I rly dont get your line. Your hand is ahead of so many worse AX hands like A2-AT and all those are not folding if u lead the river. I think he would often value bet AJ and AK on the turn so u are hardly losing to anything here besides JJ.

We beat some bluffs and he also valuebets worse.

Basically you underplayed ur hand and ur hand is underrepped so u have to call river but i prefer betting 2/3 pot myself.
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Wow I honestly never thought of leading the river, that's pretty interesting.

Do have a couple of questions though

- if he value bets AK/AJ on the turn as you say (which I see now that he probably would) then are you saying hat he wouldn't vbet his other aces? Basically I'm saying if he has A7 or something why doesn't he just check behind otr?

- I'm struggling to see how he has any bluffs in his range here given I already called a cbet on an ace-high board?

Educate me :f_p:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think with his weaker kickers he should recognize that he can only go for 2 streets of value at the very most so he would check Turn and bet River.

When u check/call Flop and check river again, you often have a 2nd pair type of hand so I think it's fine for him to value bet A7 here.

Your hand is very underrepresented. I agree he has few bluffs but i think he is value betting a ton of worse hands.
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Thanks mbml

The nit in me still expects to see JJ or AJ here alot - esp given his bet sizing.

But that's the part of me that doesn't think in ranges and makes decisions on the spot without thinking them through