Hero (SB) ($11.08)
      BB ($9.10)
      UTG ($19.43)
      MP ($13.06)
      CO ($8.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 9
      3 folds, Button bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1, 1 fold, Button calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.10) 6, 4, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, Button raises to $3, Hero raises to $10.08 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: $8.10 | Rake: $0.36

Villain was unknown, when he calls the 3bet I give him a range like 66-JJ, AJ+ and sometimes some suited aces. On the flop when I face the minraise, I just think there are 2 options, fold and push. The push should still give me some foldequity because of the paired board and even if he calls I might have the best hand. But do you think a fold would be the better move or do you think I've chosen a good spot here, because I just rep top of my range?
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Jazzy,

Preflop: Why are we 3-betting this preflop? Value or bluff?

Postflop: I think your line is fine given the board is paired and villain appears fishy (stack size) as fishy guys love to raise the paired boards and he can raise a lot worse (and call).
    • jazzy29
      jazzy29
      Silver
      I think 99 is maybe the first pocketpair that we can call here in this spot instead of 3betting, if we know our villain is aggressiv and makes many mistakes. But against unknown this is a value bet by default, his range from the button should still be wide enough to perform very well with 99. We have lot's of value due to our foldequity perflop and against his callingrange as well.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by jazzy29
      I think 99 is maybe the first pocketpair that we can call here in this spot instead of 3betting, if we know our villain is aggressiv and makes many mistakes. But against unknown this is a value bet by default, his range from the button should still be wide enough to perform very well with 99. We have lot's of value due to our foldequity perflop and against his callingrange as well.
      With fold equity we can have "value" with anything.

The question really comes down to his calling range. Do we have value versus that? And since he is unknown I think it's thin at best.

And versus a 4-bet you would have to fold.

Plus, when you see a flop, you will have a lot of overcard textures. What's your plan on those? Bet one and give up?
    • jazzy29
      jazzy29
      Silver
      depending on the structure I would ch/f but most of the times bet and give up, yes you're right. But what else, set mining with 99 w/ no implieds because his range is to weak anyway? OOP floating on several boards or call down against 1overcard?
      Both lines aren't easy, 99 OOP is a tricky hand imo. Thats why I 3bet it :/
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by jazzy29
      depending on the structure I would ch/f but most of the times bet and give up, yes you're right. But what else, set mining with 99 w/ no implieds because his range is to weak anyway? OOP floating on several boards or call down against 1overcard?
      Both lines aren't easy, 99 OOP is a tricky hand imo. Thats why I 3bet it :/
      99 is still easier to play than a lower PP. At these limits you won't really get barreled often so you don't have to worry too much about folding the best hand often when you get bet into on multiple streets.