[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH 1 overpair

• ReStart37
      ReStart37
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $10.02 (100.2 bb)
      CO: $18.20 (182 bb)
      BTN: $3.85 (38.5 bb)
      SB: $7.90 (79 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $10.66 (106.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8 8
      Hero raises to $0.30, MP calls $0.30, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 6 4 T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, MP calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.75) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP calls $1

River: ($3.75) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.60, Hero folds

Results:
      $3.75 pot ($0.17 rake)
      Final Board: 6 4 T 3 9
      MP mucked and won $3.58 ($1.78 net)
      Hero mucked 8 8 and lost (-$1.80 net)
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Maybe you want to explain your thought process on each street. I feel that u have played this hand suboptimally and ill explain why after u write down what you are trying to achieve with the turn bet.

Abt the title: u do not have an overpair here.
    • ReStart37
      ReStart37
      Bronze
      Hey mbml

So,on the Flop i do standard c-bet,im trying to make him fold any lower pair than ten,hands like KQ,QJ,and even a weak ten

Turn:I was a bit lost on the turn but i bet to just get the pot,and representing a strong hand,at least a better than pair of tens

River:I was lost on the turn,still was on the river,guess he had me beat,A10 maybe,he could be slowplaying me with a set,or even a hand like 57,but i doubt that

About the title: Im reffering to my opponent,1 overpair,Ten

Sorry for my poker english and thanks for evaluation
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      ah ok, Overpair means that you have a pocket pair which is larger than the highest card on the board. In this case since the Ten is larger than your 88, you have 2nd pair here, and the Ten is considered an Overcard to your pair.

Flop: Well we have 2 options here - Check/call to bluff induce, and bet for thin value. When we bet the Flop, we hope that he calls with some worse hands like overcards or Ace high cos we are a favourite vs those hands. We also beat lower pairs like 77 or A6s/A4s, or maybe straightdraws like 79s.

If he folds those hands, we are fine with that. If he calls, we are also fine with that. It's good if we have villain's fold to Flop cbet, cos then we can guesstimate how often he's floating on the Flop. Let's say his stat is 20%, it would mean that he is calling or raising vs our Flop cbet 80% of the time, which is really a lot. It means that he usually calls once with overcards or Ace high, so we are doing fairly well here. Conversely, if he has a high fold to F cbet of 60%, then we are betting here not really for value, but mostly as a protection bet - We are trying just to take down the pot immediately and worse hands are rarely calling us on the Flop.

Turn: Assuming you want to bet the Flop with 88 here, then the Turn is either a c/c (if we think villain is calling Flop with worse hands and often bluffing on the Turn with them) or c/f (if villain has a super tight Flop calling range).

If we did check the Flop and if villain checks back, I would now bet the Turn for value cos when villain checks back the Flop, I think he rarely has top pair here and our hand is usually the best hand now. If he bets when checked to on the Flop, we should check again and probably call one more street before folding River.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      One more thing, basically I think that your turn bet served no real purpose. I don't see why you would want to bet here again

A Ten is clearly not folding for 2 bets
      Worse hands like 6X/4X/Ace high are usually folding vs the 2nd bet.

What this means is that our bet here on the Turn is not achieving any of the following
      Bluffing out better hands
      Gaining value from worse hands
    • ReStart37
      ReStart37
      Bronze
      I think i just bet turn to make him fold a weak Ten or Overpairs,will try to play safer with hands like these,i always go to river when i got hands like these and theres only 1 overcard on board.

But yes,probably i should had checked turn.AT isnt folding,true.I just dont want to get rivered :f_mad: