Continuation Bets

• thedahl
      thedahl
      Bronze
      I haven't quite made it to my silver status yet but am still wondering about continuation bets. I know what they are, use them quite frequently, but what is the standard bet for a continuation bet-- if that makes sense?
      eg: 2/3 pot, 1/2 pot? Or does it depend on the situation :)
      Get back to me.
  • 8 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Without stats , 2/3 pot

With stats, it depends between 1/2 Pot and 2/3 Pot. But 2/3 Pot is much safer ;)
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      I'd say it depends a lot on the board. The best way to think of it in my opinion, is to look a the board and try to thing of what hand you're representing with your bet. Then make the bet size you would make with this hand.

For instance if the board is 379 I would make maybe a 3/4 pot sized bet because the hands that I'm representing would need protection (like an overpair or 9x). Another example could be if the flop came A93 rainbow, I would cbet more like half pot, because the hand I'm representing wouldn't need protection.

Hope this helps.
    • thedahl
      thedahl
      Bronze
      Gerv have you made much money on that link bank thing?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thedahl
      Gerv have you made much money on that link bank thing?
      Nope but Ill eventually get there lol
    • thedahl
      thedahl
      Bronze
      Haha well you are "Dedicated to perform" (inside joke)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thedahl
      Haha well you are "Dedicated to perform" (inside joke)
      :] I don't get this one but I hope my original post in this thread made sense
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      I like cbets alot especially when you start to get on higher limits (lower limits are a bit touchy unless you have a good read on a player) but generally i stick with 2/3 of the pot for a cbet (I also stick with 2/3 of the pot for a made hand as well which makes it harder for your opponent to read you). I find on titan you have to be careful cbeting on 5c/10c (good read or tracking software). I generally dont use a 1/2 pot cbet unless i know the person i am up against is catching on to the cbets (try to play into the weak is strong and strong is weak mentality, but only works on more experienced players).

On a side note on 25c/50c tables i have been calling some potention cbets and waiting to see what they do on the turn or river (only when in position) then bet into them if the check it (again be aware of them and how often you do it against certain players). As well, and mind you have to be very careful with this, i sometimes reraise if i think they are cbetting. Some of the more aggressive players will call the raise and then check on the turn, you can then put in a significant bet (1/2 pot atleast) to make them fold. Again be very careful and be prepared to fold and lose that money. I dont recommend moves like this on lower tables though and I would only do this few and far between with experienced players since it is a risky move and i dont think it really follows the teachings of pokerstrategy but it seems to be working for me.

As well in light of the previous paragraph you can double cbet (cbet on flop then on turn) depending on what cards are on the board. But first make sure you have just a single cbet under control before you try that.

Once you start to move up in limits cbets become a very important strategy tool in your repertoire that you should take full advantage of it, you just need to be careful to not over exert it and who you use it against.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      against a bad player you can get away with cbetting 1/2pot as a bluff and 3/4pot for value.
      try to think more about flop texture when you cbet (did it hit a lot his range or not ? ex: 876fd is bad to cbet with AK but T32r is good) and don't cbet if you've got showdown value but can get into trouble if you swell the pot (ex: middle pair, ace high)