[NL20-NL50] AcJs

• Natrilis
      Natrilis
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $16.81 (84 bb)
      CO: $9.92 (49.6 bb)
      BTN: $20 (100 bb)
      SB: $21.54 (107.7 bb)
      Hero (BB): $23.98 (119.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A J
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 9 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.90, Hero raises to $2.40, SB calls $1.50

Turn: ($6) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.40, SB calls $4.40

River: ($14.80) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero ?

Villian 21/18 3b-5.8 flop Cb 70 Steal from SB 52% wtsd 21 w$sd 36

Maybe its bad play on flop and turn , but what about river its good to push AI ?
  • 8 replies
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      He opens a lot from SB so if he calls a lot I would 3B pre. If he folds a lot then call is fine and 3B some more crappy hands.

w/o more info on how much he folds to CBet raises this looks spewy to me. You don't have backdoors or anything, only 2 overs.

He opens a lot and CBet quite a bit so he is prob wide here. AJ is strong enough to call flop.

As played I probably check turn, as again, you have very little chance to improve
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Natrilis,

Flop bluff-raise is ok, hand is strong enough to float also.

I think the 7 is not going to be great for you to barrel. It connects with villains flop calling range, stuff like 78, 45, 97, 67 may not be folding now.

On the river I prefer giving up. No info that villain is capable of laying down 2pair or overpair here, even though he should. You beat some of the hands in his range like diamond draws, so it's not as if you always lose at showdown.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Flop bluff-raise is ok,
      I don't think raising with this hand on this board is good. We have very little equity vs his continuing range. When villain folds we were ahead. Seems like a call to me.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      I don't think raising with this hand on this board is good. We have very little equity vs his continuing range. When villain folds we were ahead. Seems like a call to me.
      I think 2 over cards and the possibility of getting called by worse draws is sufficient equity here.

Hand is not clearly weak enough to put into bluff/fold category, but not strong enough that I'd always want to flat when their should be sufficient other hands in our flatting range on this particular texture. If the board was drier I would not raise AJo.

I think the hand is borderline here and fine to include in both flatting and bluff-raising ranges. A secondary point is that I have no qualms about partially merging bluff range at these stakes where players have a tendency to call down with even the weakest of draws.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      if you raise that hand I think your raising range is too wide especially because we dont have a lot of value hands.
      Why not raising hands with backdoor equity instead?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      if you raise that hand I think your raising range is too wide especially because we dont have a lot of value hands.
      Not overly worried about creating GTO perfect ranges in this spot, mainly concerned about playing exploitatively.

Besides, range can be wider here since you flat BBvsSB so stuff like 96 is not inconceivable in your range. Also most 9's might be good for a value-raise on this texture if you were concerned about being balanced - plus depending on villain I may have overpairs in my range.

Why not raising hands with backdoor equity instead?
      Obviously that would be better. On these type of textures I think it's ok to defend a little more than necessary while on dry boards it's ok to defend a little less than necessary. 963ss should be reasonably easy to defend generally speaking.

Ultimately the exploitative line will make the most money at these stakes, not playing GTO ranges. So if villian plays poorly vs a flop raise compared to how he plays vs a float it's clearly fine to put more hands in our raising range and vice versa.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hey w34z3l,

Sorry I don't wanna go into war mode on this one but:

While I agree that exploitative lines are better than GTO type of approach at those stakes I think that w/o too much stats we should tend towards playing our range.

We still have some info though:
      We know he opens wide and CBets a lot so I believe flatting is higher EV than raising.

And generally speaking I think it is worth mentioning to OP that this hand shouldn't be in his default raising range (unless it is an exploitative play).
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      We know he opens wide and CBets a lot so I believe flatting is higher EV than raising.
      I think that also depends a lot on how he plays the turn. Doesn't automatically mean that flatting is better than raising.

And generally speaking I think it is worth mentioning to OP that this hand shouldn't be in his default raising range (unless it is an exploitative play).
      It is an exploitative play. Noticed a strong tendency at these limits to ditch reverse implieds hands like weak 9x facing a raise but to continue with draws. I think partially merged bluff range is great here.

I appreciate your opinion though. I think flatting is fine for sure. Doesn't mean raising is bad though imo. Even with GTO approach it's a borderline hand imo, because there are plenty of pairs + draws that are strong enough to put in your flatting range as it is.