[NL2-NL10] QQ oop vs limp/raise

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $11.23 (112.3 bb)
      UTG: $15.62 (156.2 bb)
      MP: $14.63 (146.3 bb)
      CO: $10.07 (100.7 bb)
      BTN: $8.56 (85.6 bb)
      SB: $3.43 (34.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q Q
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.10, CO folds, BTN calls $0.10, SB completes, Hero raises to $0.60, MP folds, BTN raises to $1.10, SB folds, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.40) 9 5 K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.80, Hero calls $1.80

Turn: ($6) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($6) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.30, BTN raises to $4.60, Hero folds

Results:
      $10.60 pot ($0.70 rake)
      Final Board: 9 5 K 3 6
      Hero mucked Q Q and lost (-$5.20 net)
      BTN mucked and won $9.90 ($4.70 net)

Not really sure what to make of his range when he limp/raised on the BU. Decided to call because i didn't really feel comfortable stacking off against such a line because often times it's slowplayed KK or AA.

opted for a c/c on the flop with the intention of trying to get to a cheap showdown. On the turn the plan didn't change but when he checked back it seemed less likely for him to have Kx so i decided for a block bet on the river to try get calls from JJ or TT.

Is the bet/fold line on the river ok? Should i have played for stacks preflop?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: being readless here i agree with your play.

Flop: i would call once and fold turn. If he checks turn and bets river i would decide based on bet size. Calling smaller ones and folding vs pot bets.

River: i rly dont get the river bet. Doesnt achieve much. Fishes love bluffing river after checking turn when the oop player shows weakness on the river again by checking. I think u can call the river again. Do u expect him to call with many worse hands by leading river? I dont think so.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I think he can call some, like I said, JJ and TT might be priced in to call maybe even A9s but i think that is wishful thinking on my part.

I don't mind the block bet but i think i would opt for a bet/call after considering what you said. I don't like checking the river because villain could easily just make the bet too big for me to call and hands like 88 or 77 get a free showdown when maybe they would have otherwise considered calling a bet if the price was right. I was thinking maybe even make the bet a little smaller that way I could call more easily if he raised and also if my bet were smaller 88 or 77 may even call.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Originally posted by legand73
      I think he can call some, like I said, JJ and TT might be priced in to call maybe even A9s but i think that is wishful thinking on my part.

I don't mind the block bet but i think i would opt for a bet/call after considering what you said. I don't like checking the river because villain could easily just make the bet too big for me to call and hands like 88 or 77 get a free showdown when maybe they would have otherwise considered calling a bet if the price was right. I was thinking maybe even make the bet a little smaller that way the call would be easier if he raised and then 88 or 77 may even call.
      i don't think that's a good idea. We have a made hand here, so we don't need to bluff. So when we want to think about value betting, we just need to think whether there is value in the first place. Are we ahead of a calling range more than 50% of the time? If the answer is no (which I think so), then you must check here. IF not you are just isolating yourself vs better hands.

If he makes a big bet you can just call anyway - that would still be a better play then to bet and only fold out weaker hands while isolating yourself vs KX.