Can I ever fold?

• DannyMLennon
      DannyMLennon
      Silver
      Playing 6max cash game... CO raises 2.5BB, I 3bet from BU with 99 to 7BB and he 4bets to 14BB and i call. I was the effective stack with 120BB. The flop is 664 rainbow. he c-bets and i call. the turn is a 9, he bets again. At this point if i call the pot will be 90BBs with 70BB behind. I put him on an overpair so decide to just call expecting a third barrel from him. the river comes and ace and he shoves 70BB into 90BB. I dont know how my opponent plays but i can't think of any hand that he could have except AA, unless he's making some crazy bluff. I think about it for a while and decide my hand is just too strong to fold, I call and sure enough he has AA. Even though it would have been the right fold in this case is it a horrible fold in the long run?
  • 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      no you can't fold, you'd need to be pretty sure he's a nit who never 3barrel bluffs and won't have any Ax that barrels this way and vbets the river.

preflop is whatever, guess you can setmine against his 4bet sizing being slightly deeper and in position, but all flops where we don't hit a set suck
      what was your reason for 3betting?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      You can never ever fold. Even if he has KK and this spot that A on the river doesn't really change anything, its in fact a good card for him since it makes it less likely that you slowplayed AA and you pretty much never double float this spot with any Ax hands. So if his just valuebetting KK and AA for value you have a super easy call, you can also see AK, AQ that he decided to bluff with and has a valueshove at this point since it seems like you have TT-KK.

No way you fold this never ever never. Easy call all the way, you in fact only have to be good like 25% of the time, your good about 90% of the time.
    • DannyMLennon
      DannyMLennon
      Silver
      This was a few months ago when i mostly grinded sngs, my cash game wasn't great especially preflop play
    • DannyMLennon
      DannyMLennon
      Silver
      Yeh i guess it is an easy call.. But from his point of view if he had AK or KK or similar what is going to pay off a nearly pot sized bet that's worse than this? if I'm calling down with a mid pocket pair im pritty much putting him on AK, which gets there.. If i had kk or ak in his spot i would probably put out a small value bet or check/fold check/call, thats why i considered a fold. I'm just curious if its ever correct to fold similar spots like this, 3rd nuts/2nd nuts hands with somewhat of a polarizing range on your opponent