Rebuy tournament: What should I do?

• danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      I won by playing freerolls a seat in 770's MPS satellite. The winners, of whom there will be 1 of every 15 registered, get hotel, flight (to Vienna, I believe) and the €770 buy-in for a live tournament.

But alas it's a rebuy tournament. Rebuys and add-ons are €25 and you start with 3000 chips and get 4000 and 6000.

I have barely €50 in the account and wouldn't rebuy if I get stacked in the first 6 levels.

Advantages if I play from the beginning, rebuying once and adding on at the break:

possibility with help from cards of taking serial rebuy donkeys' chips and having a commanding stack after rebuys are over

playing tight, even if I get skunked in the first 6 levels, I'll should still have on average around 11.000 chips after the the add-on -- marginally fewer than if I wait to register

If I do well at first it will mitigate the effect of adding chips to the tourament, which necessitates winning more chips to get into the money.

Advantages if I register late in the 6th level, then rebuy and addon:

I'll avoid getting stacked with a suckout and have 12.000 chips at blinds of 120 -- not a terrible chance

There should be some players eliminated who can't/don't rebuy.

Any player who loses his stack thereafter will put me that much closer to the money rather than being able to rebuy and stay in the tournament..
  • 12 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Are you even able to choose the point at which you register? Normally, if you have qualified, you are registered automatically and won't have a choice but to play from the begining.

If you have the choice I would recommend late registration and playing it savely with the addon.

In general you shouldn't play satellites to rebuy events where you aren't able (or willing) to take rebuy's and addon's.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Asaban
      Are you even able to choose the point at which you register? Normally, if you have qualified, you are registered automatically and won't have a choice but to play from the begining.
      770 gives you a ticket that you can use for any like tournament and you can use it to register at any time registration is open. I apparently can't register for any other, though.

Originally posted by AsabanIn general you shouldn't play satellites to rebuy events where you aren't able (or willing) to take rebuy's and addon's.

Hey, I won the ticket and for €50 on top of I get a heck of a lot of equity (something around getting 5/7 on Bayern München playing at home against Hannover (with greater variance, of course)). I wouldn't ordinarily play a rebuy event at all.
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      I won it!

I couldn't believe it -- 53 registered and there were a total of 6 rebuy/addons. Everyone it seemed had around a starting stack or had doubled up. Nobody on my table who got stacked re-bought and by the break there were only 31 left after the rebuy period was over! I bought in and immediately re-bought 15 minutes in and playing super-tight, I lost 1000 chips and got them back later. After the add-on period was over, my addon made me the chip leader! Such value I got for my money! More like evens draw no bet on City vs. QPR.

I never had more than 3,5x the rebuy/addon stack and (after loose-calling ss all-ins) when I got to the money (3 paid the Vienna tournament pkg) I had 20.000 chips with 2500/1250/250. I let the donkeys knock each other out, making plays like calling all-in with bottom pair and pushing 33 with 40bb (and running into chip leader's KK).
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      So your going to Vienna? booyahh. Congrats.
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      I'll say it in Weanerisch: I flie nach Wien, Oida!
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by danutz123
      Da wirst narrisch!

Congratulations ;)
    • duckspace
      duckspace
      Bronze
      good job and good luck:D
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      Originally posted by danutz123
      Da wirst narrisch!

Congratulations ;)
      Total urleiwaund!

I think I'd better hoid da Goschn when I'm there. I know just about enough Weanerisch to get my ass kicked in a 10th district biker pub.
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      This just fucking sucks, or "daos is total beschissn" in the dialect I won't get a chance to practise!

"Due to the uncertain political situation in Austria until October 2013 with regards to live poker, it has been decided to relocate [to Montenegro] the next stop of the Mega Poker Series in due time to guarantee a smooth environment." Daos is da volla Schaß! An Bleedsinn hobn gsogt!
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      So better practise bosnian, albanian and serbian - not that easy I guess - but I am sure you will have fun anyways :D

Good luck in Montenegro and hopefully you will get another chance to practise austrian dialect in the future :)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      So better practise bosnian, albanian and serbian - not that easy I guess - but I am sure you will have fun anyways :D

Good luck in Montenegro and hopefully you will get another chance to practise austrian dialect in the future :)

Regards,
      Asaban
      Thank you. I guess it's still not bad to get to play in a €770 buyin live tournament and the resort town seems nice/idyllic from the pictures. One big advantage: My interests were split between playing poker and visiting friends/sightseeing/cafés/weanerisch, etc. Now it's 100% about the poker tournament.

Btw, do you know what are they doing/thinking of doing with the law regarding live poker there? Austria as I understand has always been something of a haven for live poker players -- I never thought they'd change that.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Unfortunately I don't know anything about the current gambling laws in Austria. If I find out anything I will post it here =)