[NL2-NL10] NL25 AK hitting nothing again...

• Termi8r
      I get this hand quite a lot. AK raise preflop, hit nothing and make a continuation bets that gets called... now what? Should I check turn, call or fold?

Known players:

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A:diamond: , K:spade:
      UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 4 folds, BU calls $1.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($2.35) 6:club: , 4:diamond: , 8:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, BU calls $1.75.

Turn: ($5.85) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $2.25, Hero raises to $2.25 (All-In).

River: ($10.35) A:spade: (1 players)
      BU gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $10.35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ad Ks)
      BU shows a pair of jacks (Jc Jd)

Hero wins with a pair of aces (Ad Ks)
  • 5 replies
    • matt1234
      Yes it happens a lot, but I don't understand your call on the turn. Flop cb is fine, then c/f the turn. You are getting 8.1:2.25 to call, so under 4:1 and you only have 6 outs, or a 13% chance on the river (7:1). Fold here
    • nttflox
      Well played until the turn. Muck hand after he bets.
    • allizdoR
      why you are calling the turn? do you think you are ahead with A high?

normally I think you are behind and then you didn't have the right Odds to call.
    • Termi8r
      Yes it was a mistake and in most cases I fold now, except if I have some kind of straight or flush draw. Those last few dollars I lose everytime adds up after a while.

Should I not push the turn because I have less than half the pot left?

There are only two exceptions in which you will further invest money into a trash hand:

You raised pre-flop and on the flop you only have one opponent. Then, and only then, you bet 2/3 of the pot. Same here: If you have to invest more than half of your money, you immediately push all-in. If on the other hand your opponent raises or even only calls your bet, you're through with your hand. You won't invest more money and will give up when facing any resistance.
      If you raised pre-flop and at the start of the next betting round you already have less than half of the pot left, you also invest the remainder of your stack no matter what. Mucking your hand makes no sense as the pot is too big for that." if you follow the SSS strategy to the letter.

Yep I understand the odds calculations which show that it is not profitable. Some of these players on this limit will play like that with A-rag as well that is why I played it that way.
    • xarry2
      first i think your cbet is too big. always bet between 1/2 and 2/3 potsize. (there are some exceptions to that but usually not important on low limits)
      1/2 pot on a dry board or HU. 2/3 on boards with many draws or multiway.

then you also won't have such a close decision on the turn because your stack is usually to big to go broke.
      and I don't understand the quoted article. 2nd barrels are only possible under certain circumstances. so just cbet, and b/f. 2nd barrls usually have no effect on loose low limit games imo.