Bankroll Management

• x3mwisp
      x3mwisp
      Black
      Hey guys!

As part of our strategy which is making most +ev decisions and also calculating our risks for profit. Bankroll management should also be a big part of this and I would like to ask you which are you using. Also would like to hear what is the reasoning behind the brm you are using. I know there was evplusplus.com on which you could calculate the risk of ruin and variance simulations but it's not working anymore. Someone knows another site like this?
  • 9 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      hi there,

im using a 100BI bankroll management. while it may seem way too conservative, i think its suited for me for a few reasons.

1. 100BI is definitely more than enough I believe up to NL500

2. My mindset gets easily affected when i lose 10-20BI so with more BI I feel less psychologically affected and "safe" though there is really no such thing but that feeling that I'm always rolled keeps me playing more.

3. I don't know if my edge is really that big at the highest limits I'm playing (up to NL200, though usually i play NL100) and I know of friends that experienced a 70BI downswing at limits I'm playing at and hes a slight winner, maybe BreakEven player so i think 100BI is reasonable.

I dont intend to lower my BRM even if my edge increases because i am psychologically "weak". I am motivated to play more sessions and more often and also i check my bankroll less and i play my A game more often with higher BRM.

I'm a pussy but pussy die last.

cgf
    • BrokesoBroke
      BrokesoBroke
      Black
      Some guys don't need $$ to survive but I think if you want to be a professional poker player then 100bi is great for stress free grind!
    • x3mwisp
      x3mwisp
      Black
      Thx guys. So mostly BRM only affects the psychological factor. How about other opinions? I believe that there should also be some mathematical factors weighing in. Like the probability of having a 50BI downswing depending on the winrate and on the standard deviation of each player and his style of play. When you have a 100BI brm you basically shoot 50BI to the higher limit if I understand it correctly, which seems reasonable, not taking into consideration the times where you might go lower to build confidence or whatever other techniques players use. I've seen players using even 200BIs and doing great. On the other hand using a higher BRM makes you fear the higher stakes. What about that thought?
      I believe it also depends on the lifestyle of every person and his value of $$$.
    • Pumper247
      Pumper247
      Bronze
      just found a link

link removed as it contains another affiliate - HollyMichelle
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Mathematically Kelly Criterion could be used for determining correct BRM for maximizing growth.

Here's a link to a simplified calculator:

http://www.bankrolltools.com/ Doesn't seem like it's another affiliate so prob not a problem that I post it here.
    • Pumper247
      Pumper247
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pumper247
      just found a link

I found this link in the German ps.com forums.
      Maybe ps.com can develope a variance simulator ;)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Gold
      just found a link

I found this link in the German ps.com forums.
      Maybe ps.com can develope a variance simulator ;)
      Different communities have different rules so what is allowed in DE is not necessarily allowed in EN :)
    • x3mwisp
      x3mwisp
      Black
      Then just give me the link to the german page :)
      Thx for the links aswell. Btw - which brm do you use?
    • Pumper247
      Pumper247
      Bronze
      http://de.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?postid=12698465#post12698465
      I moved up to NL100 w 22 stacks(2 for shot). For NL200 I will take some more, cause of lower winrate.