[NL20-NL50] NL25 FR: AK - blocking bet on the river

• Michailewic
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A:heart: , K:diamond:
      Hero raises to $1,00, 2 folds, MP3 calls $1,00, 4 folds.

Flop: ($2,35) Q:diamond: , 4:club: , A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,50, MP3 raises to $3,00, Hero calls $1,50.

Turn: ($8,35) 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $5,00, Hero calls $5,00.

River: ($18,35) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5,25, MP3 calls $5,25.

Final Pot: $28,85

Villain seems to be tight and not so agressive. And now he re-raised the flop (though minimum). But hero had TPTK.

Was the blocking bet correct? What about the amount of the blocking bet? Should hero have bet on the turn (after Villain minraised the flop)?
  • 5 replies
    • Faye6891
      Against an aggressive player I'd play check/call on turn and river.

But against a passive one, I'd bet/fold turn and blockbet river too.
    • kukac26
      Blocking bet amount was fine. (it looks more like a very small value bet, tho)

What do you think of 3-betting the flop here (you'd know fo sho whether he has AQ or no)? Calling the min-raise seems too weak.

P.S.: The pros will be probably all over me, but I think that blocking bets are just a poor play (unless you use them as bluff inducers). Maybe once upon a time when they were relatively unknown you could make monies on them, now whenever I see a silly small bet I'm raising it.

The blocking bet has a good side, too. You may earn a crying call from a guy holding two napkins sometimes. But in all other cases you lost monies by not value betting enough or you'll get taken off a pot by a better hand or complete air.
    • Faye6891
      I don't like 3-betting the flop because you will find out if villain has a better hand or not, but you'll also make any weaker hand fold, therefore you waste value.

As for the blockbet, well, it certainly looks weak, against atentive players who like to raise them, you have to mix your game and do this kind of bet when you got monsters as well.
      I usually only use them against unknown and passive players, most aggressive player just see them as weak and raise (even if they are not really atentive), so I think it's kinda useless a lot of times, but... it can be useful to do this with monster hands against this type of player.
    • cindy1985
      If villain is tight/passive, I like to fold the flop. He is passive, sees the ace on the board and your UTG raise, and yet he raises you... definitely not a good sign, and since he is raising the flop, he is likely to put you to the test on later streets as well...
    • Kaitz20
      Against that player I like to bet/fold flop.
      18/3/1,3 won´t re-raise here with AJ.
      So the worst hand he could have is AK, but mostly he holds AQ and better.
      River blockbet is fine. But other option would be c/f. He should check behind with AK and maybe even with better hands. If he bets river then you´re never ahead.