[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH 79s bluffcatch river?

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) Replayer
      SB ($23.41)
      BB ($31.21)
      CO ($6.20)
      Hero ($30.88)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: 9:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30, fold

FLOP ($1) 2:spade: 9:spade: Q:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.60

TURN ($2.20) 2:spade: 9:spade: Q:club: 3:heart:

SB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($2.20) 2:spade: 9:spade: Q:club: 3:heart: 2:heart:

SB bets $1.20, Hero folds

SB wins $2.09

On turn maybe should be a barrel, but my hand is weak and he folds on flop decent amount, so I thought I don't have too much value.

On river I am not sure, I showed weakness and there is busted draw so he could be trying to bet it
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Flop: This could be a bet or a check. With a stronger 9 like A9 K9, I would prefer betting the Flop for thin value vs someone who is not too aggro and will rarely bluff raise Flop. With the weakest 9X hand, I don't think we should bet the Flop for value since we are getting called by QX and all the better 9X hands.

Turn: Easy check after betting - We cannot go for more than one street of value with such a weak hand.

River: As played I think you must call the River when all the straight draws and flush draws missed. You beat X:sX and JT and KT/KJ/T8
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I dont get why people blfuf river with busted draw actually? This does not make more fold equity and they dont have anymore equity because there is no other street.

I think if bet river with busted draw, then can bet with anything, fold equity would be even better if tehre would be no busted draws posible on board.

And btw I cbet flop as semibluff, because he folds decent amount, so I am happy to take it down.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      People call the Flop with a draw cos their equity is higher than if they flop nothing.
      The aim of bluffing with a busted draw is not to fold out pairs. It is for the bluffer to win the hand when both players have nothing, and when the bluffer's busted draw has no showdown value and wants to guarantee taking down the pot.