outs and odds with the SSS

• delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      In the basic articles, it says if you have a flushdraw or OESD you have two options - if you raised preflop you treat it like a made hand, if not you checkfold it. Calculating outs and odds from the bronze article, does this completely replace the former method of dealing with draws?
      Also, is it correct to bet into an unraised pot when you have a draw postflop? If I have a 35% draw for example, I usually put in a potsize bet - if it is called I have only put a third into the pot therefore have good odds, and fold equity should make it profitable. Am I doing this right?
  • 3 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey delete461,

As a preflop aggressor you always have to play draw hands aggressively and treat them as made hands postflop.

Odds and outs work only for unraised pots. By default, we play our draws passively in unraised pot - check/call by odds. However, in some situations check/raise is more profitable. I can not really tell you when to check/raise, but here are some tips:

- with reduced stack
      - with aggressive left to act behind
      - any other indication of FE

I usually put in a potsize bet

No, its wrong and does not make any sense. On the limits you play passive line (check/calling by odds) is the very correct one and suggested by the basic strategy. So please, stick to it. And, of course, post hands. Every situation is specific in poker.

Good luck

xylere
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Thanks very much for reply xylere - but at this stage of my career I am not really concerned with playing profitably so much as learning as much as I can. I dont question the strategies here because I think I know best, I question them because I want to gain a thorough understanding of them rather than blindly following charts - I am even happy to blow a couple of buyins if it deepens my understanding of the game. I do understand playing draws like made hands makes sense when you are the aggressor preflop, can you please explain though why a potsize bet makes no sense here?
      with flushdraw or OESD, my odds are about 1/3. Say the pot is $1 and I put in a $1 bet - if it is called, I have contributed no more than 1/3 of the pot. What am I missing here?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey,

You are missing the understanding of odds and pot odds.

35% is your chance to fill the draw till the river. Flop - turn odds are 20% or 1:4.
      With a short stack you have no implied odds and pot size bet in unraised pot doesn't provide enough fold equity.

xylere