[NL2-NL10] NL5 AJs

• MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      General question about these hands: can I call 2 barrels, and fold to a river bet?

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (BTN): 100 BB
      SB: 110.4 BB (VPIP: 23.38, PFR: 19.48, 3Bet Preflop: 9.68, Hands: 79)
      BB: 308.8 BB (VPIP: 36.96, PFR: 34.78, 3Bet Preflop: 23.68, Hands: 94)
      UTG: 133.4 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      MP: 37.2 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
      CO: 31.4 BB (VPIP: 34.78, PFR: 13.04, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 23)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J:heart: A:heart:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, SB raises to 7 BB, fold, Hero calls 5 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 2 players) 3:club: A:diamond: Q:spade:
      SB bets 11 BB, Hero calls 11 BB

Turn: (37 BB, 2 players) 9:club:
      SB bets 28 BB, Hero calls 28 BB

River: (93 BB, 2 players) 6:spade:
      SB bets 64.4 BB and is all-in, fold
  • 2 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I would usually play the same way here.

Don't really think that calling him down with this hand will be good, so folding the river is fine since people don't tend to bluff the river often.

Nice hand.

Best,
      Plamen
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      It looked like he may have been defending his small blind, but I suspect he would 3-bet higher if he had a junk hand to a standard 3x more so in this case 12bb if he had a junk hand. I would also suggest raising to 3BB - when you only raise 2BB you look weak and can be 3-bet relatively cheaply and furthermore risk a 3-way pot if you get called by the blinds, making it harder for you to win.

Calling 3-barrels from the player would be very read independent esp. considering he went all in. How often does he barrel, double barrel and on what boards? You can pretty much only call if he's a maniac and raising every street all the time or at least very frequently. Assuming he had any 2 cards and went for a resteal (not as likely considering his min-raise suggesting he wanted a call combined with the fact he was in the SB) he knows that his only way to win the pot is to make you fold, if he puts you on a higher overcard/paired ace/queen hence the double barrel. He knows by going all in you can't really call with less than AK. Then again, it's quite possible he had AQ/AA/QQ, and it would be a pretty aggressive move to all in with AK or a weaker ace. His 3-bet range will definitely include strong aces.

I think you were correct in folding - I play safe against my opponents until I get some understanding as to how they play. The villain here looked pretty sharky - he has relatively neutral vpip but raises most of the pots he's entering and rarely calls, but he also 3-bets fairly wide. Although of course, these stats aren't very accurate as you have only 96 hands. Alternatively you could have 3-bet him on the flop to see where you are at- you can then fold to a 4-bet, and if he barrels again on the turn its pretty unlikely he has a hand you can beat unless you know him to be pretty fishy and overvalues paired aces with bad/mediocre kickers - which does not seem to be the case.

Just my 2 cents, I'm relatively new to poker and atm I'm building up a roll playing 0.01/0.02 so if anything I've said sounds wrong please let me know.