[NL20-NL50] AQs raise with draw

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 138.26 BB (VPIP: 21.80, PFR: 16.61, 3Bet Preflop: 9.21, Hands: 2,292)
      Hero (BB): 100 BB
      UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.85, PFR: 13.41, 3Bet Preflop: 5.71, Hands: 82)
      CO: 102.64 BB (VPIP: 19.61, PFR: 16.89, 3Bet Preflop: 10.09, Hands: 1,165)
      BTN: 104.26 BB (VPIP: 26.10, PFR: 16.54, 3Bet Preflop: 4.80, Hands: 2,571)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:club: Q:club:

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 7:club: K:club: J:diamond:
      Hero checks, UTG bets 3.24 BB, Hero raises to 11 BB, UTG calls 7.76 BB

Turn: (28.5 BB, 2 players) 4:spade:
      Hero bets 19 BB, UTG calls 19 BB

River: (66.5 BB, 2 players) 3:club:
      Hero bets 67 BB, UTG calls 67 BB

Hero shows A:club: Q:club: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 76%, Flop 55%, Turn 34%)
      UTG shows Q:diamond: K:heart: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 24%, Flop 45%, Turn 66%)
      Hero wins 194.5 BB

Is it ok to raise here with strong draw? I should have some FE, but his range hits the board, and people usually dont give me credit when I raise, they float or call with middle pairs even, or gutshots. So I am not sure if raise is ok here.

Also if I would just call flop, it is hard to get more money when flush completes OOP.

When I see equity on flop, 55% for me, so it seems good to raise since it is for value. Can I see it this way, my equity is better so I bet for value, even though he is better on flop?
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Your equity on the flop is always very high so you are basically raising for value really. Sure, sometimes he has KK and you are a bit behind but against his whole range you are gonna do very well. I think raising is fine.

What I would do differently is bet bigger on the turn, about 23bb and then shove river as a normal sized bet, not overbet.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

Your equity on the flop is always very high so you are basically raising for value really. Sure, sometimes he has KK and you are a bit behind but against his whole range you are gonna do very well. I think raising is fine.

What I would do differently is bet bigger on the turn, about 23bb and then shove river as a normal sized bet, not overbet.

With my lower bet size, I wanted to see river cheaper and would give up.
      When you bet larger, do you also shove unimproved river? Do we expect him to fold river when he calls larger turn?
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      i think once he calls turn he is gonna be bluffcatching river a lot on blanks since there is like 1000 draws that missed, so i wouldnt go for the 3rd barrel here.

id jam any 9 though, since it improves your range way more than his , and obv any :club: , T for value

about the T sizing, if u take this line (c/r f, bet small-ish t, overjam river) it usually screams of exactly what it is, id bet more to maximize FE+ have a better jam on the river

Originally posted by GingerKid
      When I see equity on flop, 55% for me, so it seems good to raise since it is for value. Can I see it this way, my equity is better so I bet for value, even though he is better on flop?
      your equity vs his entire opening range (and keep in mind this is very tight from UTG) is way more, im guessing even something like 60-62% and reason the c/r is so good in this spot is you are basically going to fold out a HUGE amount of 30-50% equity shares

EDIT: btw, if u dont mind me asking how come ur a black member playing NL50? :)
      u just grind like 200k hands/month for 5 years or you play way higher PLO/sng's and just trying out nlhe?
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by zumpar
      i think once he calls turn he is gonna be bluffcatching river a lot on blanks since there is like 1000 draws that missed, so i wouldnt go for the 3rd barrel here.

id jam any 9 though, since it improves your range way more than his , and obv any :club: , T for value

about the T sizing, if u take this line (c/r f, bet small-ish t, overjam river) it usually screams of exactly what it is, id bet more to maximize FE+ have a better jam on the river

your equity vs his entire opening range (and keep in mind this is very tight from UTG) is way more, im guessing even something like 60-62% and reason the c/r is so good in this spot is you are basically going to fold out a HUGE amount of 30-50% equity shares

u just grind like 200k hands/month for 5 years or you play way higher PLO/sng's and just trying out nlhe?
      Nice answer, agree, thanks.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zumpar

Very good post!

I agree with not shoving river on blanks, we just never get folds when so much busted.

Regarding turn size, imo anyway: you want to make it big enough to commit. Check/raising a monster draw and then not getting odds to stack of on the turn is very wastefull.