sports betting

• 10 replies
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      I did bet on football when I was 18 (3 years ago). I thought it could make me money, but I later learned that the payout odds you are getting makes it -EV for you. So I stopped betting on sports overall and started focusing on poker.
    • kalychko
      kalychko
      Bronze
      I've played football betting for several years. It's really hard to make a lot of money. My opinion is that money could be made but the bets got to be high. My english is not that good. I mean, to make money you got to bet let's say 100$ to win 170-220, not betting 10 to win 200$. That's what I think.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In order to be able to profit in sports betting, you need to know the sports, the teams and the individual player very well.

For myself, I don't like to bet on things I can't control to some degree, so I wouldn't bet on sports.

--VS
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      In order to be able to profit in sports betting, you need to know the sports, the teams and the individual player better than the guys who set up the odds.
      --VS
      FYP

I was into sports betting a couple of times in the past, but decided to quit while I am up. It's much harder to make a decent amount of money compared to poker and to achieve that, your bets have to be quite big. And as I mentioned, basically you have to know better than the odds-makers to see where the value is, which is fairly hard, since these people get paid for what they are doing and are very much into sports in general.

If we are talking about some decent money making possibilities, sports betting is not worth it if you ask me, unless you one out of the vast minority who have what it takes.

For entertainment value, sure why not. :heart:
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      In order to be able to profit in sports betting, you need to know the sports, the teams and the individual player very well.

For myself, I don't like to bet on things I can't control to some degree, so I wouldn't bet on sports.

--VS
      This is true only for individual sports like tennis. I know that there are bettors which they dont even watch the sports they play and they bet regarding the stats. I never understood this. Meaning that i cant understand how you bet in a game when you dont have a clue how they play

Originally posted by kalychko
      I've played football betting for several years. It's really hard to make a lot of money. My opinion is that money could be made but the bets got to be high. My english is not that good. I mean, to make money you got to bet let's say 100$ to win 170-220, not betting 10 to win 200$. That's what I think.
      Obviously. I think a doable goal betting 100$ per game is 400-500$ per month. Again this depends on volume and strike rate

Originally posted by maythany
      I did bet on football when I was 18 (3 years ago). I thought it could make me money, but I later learned that the payout odds you are getting makes it -EV for you. So I stopped betting on sports overall and started focusing on poker.
      This isnt quite true. Obviously the lines will be -Ev but books are making mistakes especially in lower leagues. You just have to find out where your edge is in order to be profitable
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr... and they bet regarding the stats. I never understood this.
      Wow -- that is a revelation.
      I'm am certain that there are some poker players who use HUDs that way.

ie, bet based on the player's stats first and other factors second.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr... and they bet regarding the stats. I never understood this.

Cheers,
      --VS
      No nothing to player stats but regarding how the lines are moving and how the money are moving

Nice ironic answer btw from a Mod
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Ideally I'd watch every game, but sometimes its not possible so you have to rely on stats. I make a living doing this with tennis... And know lots of others that do too.

And you can make a tidy profit on events using stats before they go live (eg. football).
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by belthazorrrr

Cheers,
      --VS
      No nothing to player stats but regarding how the lines are moving and how the money are moving

Nice ironic answer btw from a Mod

Oh you mean trading?
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      No. They see the opening lines. Then how they move and they bet accordingly. I dont know how trading is working tbh