[NL20-NL50] 98s 3bet vs btn

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 111.26 BB (VPIP: 21.73, PFR: 16.16, 3Bet Preflop: 3.62, Hands: 367)
      CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 24.72, PFR: 18.54, 3Bet Preflop: 11.69, Hands: 185)
      BTN: 120.6 BB (VPIP: 23.36, PFR: 19.83, 3Bet Preflop: 7.94, Hands: 2,931)
      Hero (SB): 144.14 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:heart: 9:heart:

fold, BTN raises to 2.5 BB, Hero raises to 8 BB, fold, BTN calls 5.5 BB

Flop: (17 BB, 2 players) A:heart: 5:club: 9:diamond:
      Hero bets 10 BB, BTN calls 10 BB

Turn: (37 BB, 2 players) 2:club:
      Hero bets 26 BB, BTN calls 26 BB

River: (89 BB, 2 players) 9:spade:
      Hero bets 89 BB, BTN calls 76.6 BB

BTN shows A:diamond: Q:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines) (Pre 59%, Flop 76%, Turn 89%)
      Hero shows 8:heart: 9:heart: (Three of a Kind, Nines) (Pre 41%, Flop 24%, Turn 11%)
      Hero wins 238.2 BB

Is it ok to barrel turn with outs? He calls cbet 38%, raises 22%. He opens bu 55% folds 77%.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Are you basically turning your hand into a bluff on the turn?

I assume you expect him to fold stuff like QQ-TT? If you only expect him to fold JJ and TT it's not enough imo. He has too many Ax. If he has floats that are not Ax or midpairs (pure floats) you win from those folds as well but I don't expect him to have too many. I think barreling is risky, you need to 3barrel to make him fold some Ax hands imo.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

Are you basically turning your hand into a bluff on the turn?

I assume you expect him to fold stuff like QQ-TT? If you only expect him to fold JJ and TT it's not enough imo. He has too many Ax. If he has floats that are not Ax or midpairs (pure floats) you win from those folds as well but I don't expect him to have too many. I think barreling is risky, you need to 3barrel to make him fold some Ax hands imo.
      Now when I think again, he should not have TT+ in his calling range. He is stacking off those hands. Then he probably calls with hands like 88,99, maybe hands like JTs, QJs, KQ, AQ, AJ, AT.
      I was trying to fold his non Ax hands in the case he is floating, but I didn't expect to fold his Ax even on the river.

"Are you basically turning your hand into a bluff on the turn?"

I was turning my hand into bluff also on the flop :) I dont see my bet on flop as for value (sometimes it is), but I cant check call on this board, since most opponents are aggro and would often bet turn and river.

Would you bet flop and give up turn?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You misunderstood me a bit. I was asking if you are actually bluffing on the turn because on the flop you bet leaving yourslef the chance to bluff. You can also vbet vs a non-believer range so it's sort of range merging.

I would usulaly continue only on good turns like flushdraw, 2 pair and straight draw. I am a bit more optimistic and think you can make some of the weakest Ax fold on the river sometimes. Always risky on Axx boards though, since you can't have overpairs.