[NL20-NL50] SH25 ZOOM KJs 4bet oop

• Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      villain reg (few stats)
      [P] Defended blinds passively {A4s,K6s} (2)

PokerStars - $0.25 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 125.36 BB
      Hero (SB): 101.8 BB
      BB: 177.44 BB
      UTG: 104.72 BB
      MP: 120.36 BB
      CO: 100 BB

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J:club: K:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, BB raises to 7 BB, Hero raises to 16 BB, BB calls 9 BB

Flop: (32 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond: Q:heart: 7:club:
      Hero bets 12 BB, BB calls 12 BB

Turn: (56 BB, 2 players) 3:heart:
      Hero checks, BB checks

River: (56 BB, 2 players) K:spade:
      Hero checks, BB bets 35.6 BB, Hero calls 35.6 BB

not sure there is much to comment...
      close to bottom of folding range, bet flop with ok backdoor equity, didn't want to spaz out on a blank turn
      on the river it's quite awkward because i don't see value from worse but i don't see what he can spaz out with... river play?
  • 7 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: I think I would just fold preflop, he seems ultra tight over a 250 hand sample. I would typically call KJs, but I suppose it's way too weak to call vs such a tight guy, and 4bet may be the next best option after folding preflop.

Flop: While you have backdoors here, I think a tight 4bet-calling range will contain many QX hands like KQ/QJ/AQ, and JJ/TT are probably not folding on QXX Flops too.

River: This is a pretty ugly spot, unless he is turning TT/JJ into a bluff, I think he usually has KQ/QQ here. Would he value bet AQ when checked to? That seems unlikely. Calling cannot be too bad though when you have a hand as strong as KX.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yeah, i was super close to folding. felt like it was nearly toppest hand in my range though so i talked myself into calling :f_biggrin:
      do you think he can play AK like that some % of the time? he "knows" he has the best hand on the river.

to my luck he showed A9 hearts ?(
      i feel that nl25 is weird nowadays, people play tight/solid then suddenly they SNAP and make a move with a random hand that makes no sense. :f_biggrin:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      pretty interesting... have you been aggro at all during the session? Seems like an uncharacteristic play from this seemingly tight guy.

btw i forgot to mention this but you should probably have half potted the River for value vs QX.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i'd like to think so but i was playing quite tight with a low 3bet... did some light 4bets on late positions which were all shoved on ;( and that's it

that said, i do have a high sb open% (~60%) and i tend to barrel down any random piece of equity when opening there...
      also i think we played a hand on nl10 not that long ago where i 3barreled a "questionable hand" sbvbb and he called me down... so he might have me down as a spaz monkey :D
      maybe he puts me on sdv like JJ-TT himself once i check turn and river.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      ah i see, no wonder that happened.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      so what from his pov?

think it's a super ez preflop call, but after he 3bets i'm not sure what to do in his spot either with these bet sizings :f_biggrin: could he just min5bet a wide range?
      postflop play?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      yes i see no reason for him to 3bet that hand, but I think A9s is strong enough to call the 4bet and he doesn't need to min 5bet it especially when the raise/3b/4b sizes are all on the smaller side.

Postflop Play: I suppose floating flop is fine with Ace high if he thinks you are 4betting and cbetting a really wide range

Turn: He could bet here small and it would be fine. If there was <PSB bet left, then I think it's better for him to check back cos you can very easily check AA/KK/QQ here. If theres 1.5X PSB left, I think betting 1/3 pot is fine cos you will rarely check your overpairs