[NL2-NL10] 10NL QQ VS UTG+1 MIDSTACK, and small PP with straight draw vs obvious big PP

• MBJUK
      Hey, I joined PokerStrategy recently. I have played poker for a long time as a losing player and have only recently started taking it seriously. Had some money in neteller for other reasons so decided to deposit what I didn't need and start playing 10NL, having had some experience at 2NL and 5NL in previous months. Split my roll between Carbon, Stars and Full Tilt, and use bankroll management relating to my whole bankroll (i.e. atm after some small profit (2 buys-ins over 4000 hands and some first deposit bonus money) I have $85 on stars, $65 on FT, and $112 on carbon, waiting for a $60 cashout from cake to neteller which will be going into Stars/FT which i tend to consider pretty much interchangeable due to inter-site transfers).

My first question is in relation to this hand. I think I realize now that it should be a fold, but I have a problem laying down big PP's against bigger ones, :

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 = ($4.44)
      MP3 = ($10.27)
      CO (Hero) = ($15.63)
      BU = ($11.06)
      SB = ($8.52)
      BB = ($6.81)
      UTG2 = ($8.35)
      MP1 = ($5.00)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q :club: , Q :heart: .
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 3 folds, MP1 raises to $1.70, Hero calls $0.95,

(Had some problems converting flop): 9 :club: ,8 :club: ,3 :heart:

MP1 bets $5.30, Hero calls $3.30.

MP1 shows a pair of aces(A :spade: A :club:) .
      Hero shows a pair of queens(Q :club: Q :heart:) .

MP1 wins with a pair of aces(A :spade: A :club:) .

Should I always fold this? I basically thought the overbet was to scare me away, and maybe he had AK or something? As i read that a lot of midstacks will stack off with AK given the chance? Maybe I am wrong here though, could someone correct me if so please?

The next hand I have trouble with is this small PP with a straight draw against a big PP (I guess I was trying to setmine but now realise I didn't have the implied odds, but thought MP2 would call the raise):

CO = ($4.00)
      BU = ($9.81)
      SB = ($10.40)
      BB (Hero) = ($15.54)
      UTG1 = ($7.03)
      UTG2 = ($11.89)
      MP1 = ($17.49)
      MP2 = ($16.70)
      MP3 = ($10.00)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 6.
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.60, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP2 folds, Hero bets $1.40, CO raises to $3.40(All-In), Hero calls $2.60.

(Again issues with the flop): 4 :diamond: ,8 :club: ,7 :diamond:

Results follow:

CO shows a pair of queens(Q Q).
      Hero shows a pair of sixes(6 6).

CO wins with a pair of queens(Q Q).

How should I play this, just fold? I guess I hate playing against mid/shortstacks, any advice on how to tackle them? I prefer playing deep cos I like to setmine/play suited connectors and high suited one gappers as I find at 10NL people just can't fold AA/KK/QQ when there are flush or straight cards on the board.

Sorry for the nooby post, thanks for the help!
  • 2 replies
    • mbml
      I think your hand is definitely strong enough to push preflop. Since the midstack has only 50bb, I think your raise size of 2.5X (3->7.5bb) is fine. Midstacks will often stack off TT/JJ/99/AQ so I think this is a pretty easy push here.

Since your hand is one which I would already be willing to play for stacks preflop, when you get such a flop, you should be really happy to play for stacks. But as I said earlier I just prefer pushing preflop. He is too shallow and the 4bet size is too large for you to have any calling range vs the 4bet.

Basic rule of thumb: If you raise a hand for value but are not willing to push vs a raise, then maybe you should reconsider raising it in the first place.

How does that apply to this situation? If you think the MP1 raiser is raising a really tight range, then you perhaps should just flat here with QQ instead of 3betting him.

Of course there are exceptions but in general if there is a lot of uncertainty involved (little amount of reads), then you should follow what I have stated in the above paragraph.
    • mbml
      I'm confused by the hand history.

Preflop: You call the 60 cents raise?
      Flop: You lead out for $1.40?

Now for some comments

Preflop: This is a clear fold. Firstly, the raise size is super large to 6bb. you do not have a profitable call here. Secondly effective stack sizes are really shallow at 40bb. assuming you are calling here just to set-mine, you are risking 5bb at a shot of winning 40bb which is really terrible risk/reward.

Of course you could argue that 66 has some pair value which can be used to showdown. but the playability is terrible with this hand, there are going to be so many overcards that could come on later streets.

You can also argue for a 3bet preflop to play for stacks, since pocket pairs are awesome due to their high preflop equities. but i think villain needs to have a really wide stacking-off range.