[NL2-NL10] KQ IP vs reg

• yaxkukmian
      EP is reg. 21/13/ 13 raise first EP/ 86 cbet/ 71 2nd barrel/ aggression 3,9

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($4)
      BB ($9.45)
      UTG ($23.37)
      UTG+1 ($4.95)
      CO ($18.86)
      Hero ($11.79)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: K:club:

UTG raises to $0.30, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.30, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.75) 5:club: 4:spade: 3:club:

UTG bets $0.52, Hero calls $0.52

TURN ($1.79) 5:club: 4:spade: 3:club: J:heart:

UTG bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.25

RIVER ($4.29) 5:club: 4:spade: 3:club: J:heart: K:spade:

UTG bets $3, Hero calls $3

UTG shows K:heart: K:diamond:
      (Pre 86%, Flop 62.3%, Turn 79.5%)

Hero shows Q:club: K:club:
      (Pre 14%, Flop 37.7%, Turn 20.5%)

UTG wins $9.61

I just couldn't fold preflop and before calling I was sure to call his cbet if I hit some piece of board.

On this flop I was even thinking of raising him but in the end I decided not to since he have position and he will build the pot on the T so we can stack him by the R.

T bet seems strong and kind of vbet. My plan was just to fold if I miss and he 3 barrels and shove if I hit my flush. Are implied odds here good enough reason to continue?

R...he's never bluffing here I think. I couldn't convince myself he's 2 barreling with AK, so he might do it with some QQ. Was afraid of AA but in the end I just called him.

What should I learn from this hand?
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      Hey Yaxkukmian,

The first thing to mention is that we are behind villain's preflop opening range. Folding preflop will be fine (or even 3bet bluffing). It's certainly true that we usually have over 40% equity and position, but we also have the issue of being dominated by many hands in villains range. AQ/AK/AA/KK/QQ - all of these hands can get us into a lot of trouble when we hit top pair. QK vs UTG open is always a big danger hand imo.

You basically have to call the flop. You should have the implieds to do so, and almost the pot odds. Although perhaps not quite in reality since we'd expect a strong UTG range to barrel the turn pretty frequently so we often only see one extra card for our money.

By the turn I would fold. It's true you still have a strong draw but you are relying entirely on implied odds here. Our draw will be somewhat obvious if we hit so there is no guarantee we are going to get villains stack often enough on a flush river.

As played you are ironically still behind villains range on the river. Range is JJ/KK/AA by this point. Not sure you will be good often enough to call.