This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR QJs bluff - value bet on river?

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Known Players:
      UTG3: $4.93 - 99 bb
      MP1: $5.00 - 100 bb
      MP2: $5.76 - 115 bb
      MP3: $6.06 - 121 bb
      CO: $9.28 - 186 bb
      BU: $6.76 - 135 bb
      SB: $5.11 - 102 bb
      BB: $12.80 - 256 bb

0.02/0.05 No Limit Hold'em (8 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 1.1.417.4

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:spade: , J:spade:
      SB posts small blind ($0.02), BB posts big blind ($0.05), UTG3 folds, MP1 raises for $0.15, MP2 folds, Hero 3-bets $0.45, 4 folds, MP1 calls

Flop: ($0.97 - 19.40 bb) Q:diamond: , J:club: , 4:heart: (2 Players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.60, MP1 calls

Turn: ($2.17 - 43.40 bb) 8:diamond: (2 Players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $1.40, MP1 calls

River: ($4.97 - 99.40 bb) T:heart: (2 Players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks

-----

MP1 was 17/15/6 over 158. Also, he traps with strong hands and does not raise flop/turn with a set.

Preflop: don't want to call him as I will often be dominated. Opted to 3bet bluff as I have some blockers.

Flop: His 3bet calling range is TT+, AQ+. I am good against a better part of his range so I want to extract value. Made a mistake by betting small, should bet $.80 or even full $1.
      If he has AK he is folding anyways. If he has KK+ he is paying me off as he tries to trap. If he has AQ I think he is still paying me off.

Turn: same mistake as on the flop, should bet $2.

River: was wondering if I could get thin value. It's highly unlikely that he has AK/QQ-TT. However, it's also unlikely he calls with KK+.

Opted to check, but wonder if I lost value on the river (because I'm sure I lost a ton on flop and turn :f_mad: )?
  • 3 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      It's a 3-bet pot, so you should cbet about 1/2 as default. DOn't get exploitable by betting bigger with hit..
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dawidas,

First, the bet sizings versus a reg in a 3-bet pot are fine. Generally we don't need to bet too large in these scenarios.

Now, given the range you assign him, I think that we have a valuebet on the river, even if it's small. I doubt he can fold Qx (AQ, KQ) and if he trapped KK/AA he is never folding.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hiya

I am playing under the assumption that people don't adapt at this limit unless I'm given a reason to do otherwise. Vs regs I try to stay somewhat balanced but I doubt if even they take notes. And if they take a note about my play vs a fishy reg they would make a mistake when playing vs me heads up, so I'm happy :f_biggrin: Finally, if he has an OP he is never folding and I think I'll get more value by just betting bigger rather than trying to stay unpredictable.

Edit: this guy wasn't a reg as he is trapping. Regs should know when to trap and when not and this is not the spot :f_cool:

Edit#2: thanks for the evaluation. I thought I missed a bit of value on the river :f_frown:

Dawidas