The coorelation of learning PLO while living from NL

• Krimica
      Krimica
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I was already wondering for a while to start PLO. Since I live from NL I would take some of my NL time to learn this game. So in general I was wondering how does you guys affect playing both games. I mean do you play one day NL one day PLO? Also do you ever get confused? I'm really looking who did people general approach by learning PLO but at the same time learning a new game. TY
  • 6 replies
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      i play both and biggest mistake, especially especially in cash games, plo is more of a draw game where holdem is pocket pairs are strong, my advice don't mix plo cash games and nl cash games together because your bound to tilt in plo, safest thing is to play some small plo tournaments on stars to get an idea of what im talking about. hope that helps
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi guys,
      I've been playing PLO and PLO H/L freerolls.

It gives me practice, doesn't cost anything.

Note that I don't make a living off of poker.

Since you do, I would just set a time budget, and a money budget, and start small.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I find they go together pretty well.

PLO taught me a lot about NLHE. Never had any problem transitioning between the two - they are pretty different games really. I mainly just grind NLHE and maybe every few days put in a PLO session, but lower stakes.

I still focus on NLHE though. Maybe one day I'll switch - I certainly think it's good idea to keep one game your main focus even if you play other variants. I also like playing plo8.
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      When i started playin PLO, i just couldn't go back to nlh. When i was still learning i'd grind nl, but i was so intrigued by the new game that my mind wondered all the time :D :D .

So i decided to let nlh go, unfortunately it took me 6 months to get to playing the PLO stakes i played as nlh player.

Also, the absoulte hand strenght changes dramatically between plo and nlh, so you should really watch out for that ( try to see the difference between folding a Q hih flush in nlh and Omaha :D )
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      I find they go together pretty well.

PLO taught me a lot about NLHE. Never had any problem transitioning between the two - they are pretty different games really. I mainly just grind NLHE and maybe every few days put in a PLO session, but lower stakes.

I still focus on NLHE though. Maybe one day I'll switch - I certainly think it's good idea to keep one game your main focus even if you play other variants. I also like playing plo8.
      What did PLO teach you for your No Limit game?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Riverdiver
      What did PLO teach you for your No Limit game?
      I'll give just two really basic examples otherwise it'll quickly turn into TLDR.

1) The way top set in plo can turn into a strong draw multiway. I've found relevant situations in NLHE where it can be better to treat top set like a draw multi-way as opposed to automatically shipping and likely being a dog.

2) Subtle differences between textures. For example AJTx is a much stronger starting hand in omaha than AKTx because TJ makes the most possible nut straights. It means a board like TJ5 is actually a lot more drawy than a board like AKT or QJ7