MP2 ($6.80)
      MP3 ($9.56)
      CO ($6.59)
      BTN ($2.01)
      Hero ($5.00)
      BB ($3.37)
      [MP1 posted $0.04]

Pre-flop: ($0.10, 10 players) Hero is SB
      2 folds, [color:#B93238]UTG+2 calls $0.04[/color], MP1 checks, 1 fold, [color:#B93238]MP3 calls $0.04[/color], 2 folds, [color:#272BA6]Hero raises to $0.28[/color], 1 fold, UTG+2 folds, [color:#B93238]MP1 calls $0.24[/color], [color:#B93238]MP3 calls $0.24[/color]

Flop: ($0.92, 3 players)
      [color:#272BA6]Hero bets $0.60[/color], [color:#B93238]MP1 calls $0.60[/color], 1 fold

Turn: ($2.12, 2 players)
      [color:#272BA6]Hero bets $1.30[/color], [color:#B93238]MP1 calls $1.30[/color]

River: ($4.72, 2 players)
      Hero ($2.82)?

No stats on villain

Got puzzled a little here on how much to bet on that turn. $1.3 seems a little on the low side. Only option on the river is a shove I suppose? Something awkward about the entire situation though. He may well have me beat and I don't see how I could get away from this after that turn. Or is shoving on such a board a definite +EV?
  • 5 replies
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      considering that they limp/called in middle possition, and that they flat called both you're bets, I'd say they either have a pocket pair, 6x or a 2 (which would be some bad preflop play...but it is Nl5). If you think they'd raise maybe TT+ preflop then you're beating 33,44,55, 77, 6x and 66,99,2x are beating you on the turn. I think I would bet closer to pot size on the turn because there's the possibility that he was in there with overcards on the flop, and you don't want him drawing cheap. Once you've bet pot on the turn you barely have anything left for the river so it would be an easy shove.
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      I agree with Hellrabbit, that the whole situation seems awkward, and more than a little fishy.

Just as gggeorgio points out, it's really hard to put this player on a hand, especially at this limit. Some weird 2x is not out of the question, especially since you are both quite deep-stacked for the limit, and he might be fishing for a big flop in order to stack you.

I like the betting that you did, by the way. I suppose the turn could have been bigger, yeah. To be honest, I'm not to worried about a couple random overcards calling the 1/2+ pot bet. That bet is too big for their 6 outs to call, so it's profitable for you if they do, and the bet won't be so big that the hands we have beat will run off. It might just make a bigger pocket pair re raise, so that we can get out if we feel we're beat.

That being said, it's just hard to figure out what you can beat on the river. What could have called you down the whole way? 33 - 55 and 6x is all we have beat at that point, unless this fish thinks Ace high will be enough, which is entirely possible. But because we could put this guy on such a big range (especially a range that would limp-check/call preflop: small pockets and maybe suited connectors containing a 6...?), we kinda have to call/shove. I'd say we're pot committed with our full at this point.

So, what did he have? The other two eights?
    • Hellrabbit
      Hellrabbit
      Bronze
      Result : villain timed-out and didn't have any disconnect protections left
      I lol'd
    • Hellrabbit
      Hellrabbit
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GrantJennings
      we kinda have to call/shove. I'd say we're pot committed with our full at this point.
      Exactly, but I hate to be pot commited when I have no idea where I'm at in the hand.
      Although I'm probably giving villain too much credit and I'm in front here more than often, the entire hand still left me quite annoyed.

Originally posted by gggeorgio
      If you think they'd raise maybe TT+ preflop then you're beating 33,44,55, 77, 6x and 66,99,2x are beating you on the turn.
      Problem is that at these stakes, I can easily see them flatcall tens through queens. Seen it more than enough for me not to exclude them from villain's range.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi Hellrabit,

If you took aggressive line pf. I would limped 88 in 10-handed pot. You should shove river. MP3 could have 99, TT, but he could also hold 33,44,55,77 or maybe even Ax.
      Shoving is better than c/f, since he´ll call with worse hands, but check behind probably better ones and since nl5 players tend to be calling stations, they would go all-in with marginal holdings.