Pot odds before the flop

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Hi,

So I've been reading Harrington's volume I and pot odds are of a great importance. But my question is, should we put our opponent on a range, estimate our equity and based on that equity see if the pot odds are favorable? So many times there will be overcards to our drawing hands so even if we pair or something it's difficult to play postflop. And against more than one opponent I don't see a reason to calculate our equity, we probably won't see the 5 cards.

I sometimes see... Oh a got pot odds of 5-1 to make this call, nice! what does this tell me though ?( I just dont know which hands it's worth calling, I needed some kind of table which could tell me the odds of hitting a flush draw, SD, maybe...

Anyone can help me on this matter please?
  • 3 replies
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      Read further, harrington explains later on what odds you need for what (for flush, for set and so on) plus u could do the math yourself and make nice table (good way for practice).
      And you must always count pot odds, they should be very important in your decision making. Notice that in every example hand, harrington is counting pot odds.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      There is also a chart somewehere in the strategy articles on this site! I think it is in the no limit section but the odds are abviously the same for every type of hold'em game...
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      No you shouldn't; your equity is based on seeing all five cards, you could make a gutshot, backdoors draws, etc; these are all factored into your equity, but in reality after seeing the flop you may fold these hands. But yes, for some hands you should be calling with good pot odds (but before the flop its mostly about implied odds).