Hacked on MoneyBookers (skrill)

• Go0se
      Go0se
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

A couple of hours ago someone hacked my moneybookers account.
      They took 185 euro and did change my passport ( which i got managed to get back ).

I've sent an support to them but is there any chance I will get my money back.
      I've send the support around 2/3 hours after the transactions were made so I hope they'll answer me fast enough.

I feel sick, no vacation for me now...

Greetings,

Go0se
  • 27 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Go0se,

I've moved your thread to our Skrill (Moneybookers) forum board.

Sorry to read of your incident. I had a failed attempt at my account a few days ago. Hope you can get some answers from Skrill.

Best of luck and keep us informed please,
      Gary.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      sorry to hear that.

don't let it upset you too much, its only money. you might get it reimbursed anyway.

good luck.
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Hey dude. I advise you call them. It's very cheap, you can use skype.

I had a simmilar incident. All of my Skrill money was gone, as supposedly i've paid for a few train and airplane trips from another country.

I've called them, they locked my account, and said the investigation would take two weeks.

After a week, i got an email that the money had been refounded. I only needed to order a new credit card.

Don't wait for an email. Call them and explain the situation.

It worked for me.

GL!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skodljivec
      Hey dude. I advise you call them. It's very cheap, you can use skype.

I had a simmilar incident. All of my Skrill money was gone, as supposedly i've paid for a few train and airplane trips from another country.

I've called them, they locked my account, and said the investigation would take two weeks.

After a week, i got an email that the money had been refounded. I only needed to order a new credit card.

Don't wait for an email. Call them and explain the situation.

It worked for me.

GL!
      Thank you :)
    • Go0se
      Go0se
      Bronze
      Ok here's an update.

They've asked me to upload some documents (Identification, bank account statement) Just documents to prove I'm the person that they're thinking talking to. That worked but got this mail:

Our investigation of your claim regarding unauthorized use of your Skrill account has now been completed.

We acknowledge the seriousness of the issues raised and appreciate your patience and co-operation during our internal investigation.

Having carefully examined the circumstances surrounding the event, we can confirm that the disputed amount was withdrawn, spent or otherwise used prior to your first contact with our team and therefore cannot be recovered.

Please note that due to compliance restrictions, we are unable to provide you with specific details related to the recipient of the funds other than the fact that they are [ a private individual whose account has been accordingly blocked / a commercial entity offering intangible goods in exchange for funds received on their account ] . In accordance with our Privacy Policy, any and all relevant details will be furnished upon official request from the proper authorities including but not limited to the police.

We realise that you claim involves a substantial financial loss and truly regret that we have not been able to arrange a refund as per your request. Please note however that similar situations are explicitly covered on our Terms of Use, section 16. Liability, and therefore Skrill will not be able to cover the funds claimed as lost.

While we are committed to ensuring high level of protection, this can only be effective if you follow certain security practices yourself. For instance, you should:

bla bla bla on how to secure your password and such....

Please note the fact that while we can issue recommendations and warnings for most events concerning your account security, we cannot influence your approach directly. Transactions where the login credentials have been entered correctly, after being compromised outside of our system, are regarded as valid and processed accordingly, unless we have reasonable grounds to suspect fraudulent use of your Skrill account and/or you notify us of an event that could reasonably be expected to have compromised the security of your Skrill account.

As we cannot reimburse the respective amount, we strongly recommend that you request a separate investigation with the police authorities. To support this investigation, we will be able to provide payment details, IP information and other information that will help the authorities identify the person involved in this incident.

We hope you will understand our position and accept our sympathy regarding the inconvenience you have experienced.

Should you wish to escalate this case for independent adjudication, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to provide further assistance.

Well. I'm not thinking about contacting the police since I love in Holland and from past experience they won't do shit about it.

This left me to not being able to pay my vacation, which sucks hard!
      I've got some money left on pokerstrategy which i will transfer to moneybookers. After that I will close my acccount because their security is bullshit. (all they had was my password that's it, and I'm quite safe with this information all the time!!!)

Donations appreciated ;)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Sad news Go0se, really sorry to hear that.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Sorry to hear what happened. This incident shows us that hackers can hit anyone, not just highstakes players. Security token costs 15 euros. As far as I have understood, it makes it virtually impossible for online hackers to steal your money.

I have been lazy and always thought "well, hackers are not after my pennies" but still I transfer 4 digits every month through Skrill. So I actually ordered that token just now.

I suggest others to do the same. :)
    • Skrill
      Skrill
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

Here is an official statement from Skrill in response to recent comments.

A small number of customers have recently reported unauthorised attempts to access their Skrill accounts. Like all online services we are subject to this type of activity, and have robust fraud and security processes in place to help protect our customers. These processes include sophisticated scoring and anti-fraud protection tools, as well as monitoring and validating transactions and account activity. We ask all of our customers to follow our security advice and to immediately report to us any suspicious account activity, scams or ‘phishing’ attacks. Our security advice can be found at: https://help.skrill.com/pkb_sc_CategorySelector?c=Consumer%3ASecurity&l=en_GB&t=s
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thank you Skrill.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I got my token yesterday. If someone who uses Skrill doesn't have that already, go and get one now. :)
    • TedHawkins
      TedHawkins
      Bronze
      How can I get one? It is only available for VIP accounts?
    • kyaia
      kyaia
      Bronze
      I also would like to know how to order that token security, I am not VIP though.

Thanks
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      No matter how high or low is the amount of $s you lost it is always painful to loose money. My 2cents is to keep your $s only in pokerstars and small amounts in moneybookers. Just my 2cents
    • julcor
      julcor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skrill
      Hi everyone,

Here is an official statement from Skrill in response to recent comments.

A small number of customers have recently reported unauthorised attempts to access their Skrill accounts. Like all online services we are subject to this type of activity, and have robust fraud and security processes in place to help protect our customers. These processes include sophisticated scoring and anti-fraud protection tools, as well as monitoring and validating transactions and account activity. We ask all of our customers to follow our security advice and to immediately report to us any suspicious account activity, scams or ‘phishing’ attacks. Our security advice can be found at: https://help.skrill.com/pkb_sc_CategoryS...%3ASecurity&t=s
      Correct link at Skrill's website with FAQ about the security is:
      https://help.skrill.com/pkb_sc_CategorySelector?c=Consumer%3ASecurity&l=en_GB&t=s

Originally posted by TedHawkins
      How can I get one? It is only available for VIP accounts?
      At Skrill's new website it is stated the token is available for every customer, but afaik you need to verify your account first.
      For VIPs it is free to order. Please go to the security center and order your token. At the moment delivery takes 5-7 business days.

Here are detailed information about the Skrill security token from a partner site.

Originally posted by belthazorrrr
      No matter how high or low is the amount of $s you lost it is always painful to loose money. My 2cents is to keep your $s only in pokerstars and small amounts in moneybookers. Just my 2cents
      Skrill is regulated by the Financial Services Authority and licensed to operate within the European Union.
      I also feel safe with PokerStars, but it's not comparable to regulations to those of Skrill. No matter where you feel safer, just make sure to use a security token!
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Man, I must be stupid.

Logged into my account but still can't find moneybookers security centre =D
    • julcor
      julcor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Man, I must be stupid.

Logged into my account but still can't find moneybookers security centre =D
      It's not included in the new version of Skrill's website.
      Please use the old website to login where I'm sure you will find it easily :)

https://www.moneybookers.com/app/security_centre.pl

edit:
      ok, I also found it at the new website at
      Settings -> Account Settings -> Security Token
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I didn't have security centre earlier, but I contacted customer support and asked for it. I am not a VIP member, and the token cost me 10 euros.
    • Skrill
      Skrill
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kyaia
      I also would like to know how to order that token security, I am not VIP though.

Thanks
      @kyaia and @TedHawkins, if you send me a PM I will help you to order a security token asap.
    • kyaia
      kyaia
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skrill
      Originally posted by kyaia

Thanks
      @kyaia and @TedHawkins, if you send me a PM I will help you to order a security token asap.
      PMed you.