[NL2-NL10] mid suited connectors with "monster" draw to flop and turn aggression

• MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Merge, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP3: $11.38 (113.8 bb)
      CO: $21.44 (214.4 bb)
      BTN: $8.52 (85.2 bb)
      SB: $4.95 (49.5 bb)
      BB: $5.92 (59.2 bb)
      UTG+2: $11.21 (112.1 bb)
      MP1: $20.26 (202.6 bb)
      Hero (MP2): $10.07 (100.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6 :diamond: 7 :diamond:
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, CO folds, BTN calls $0.10, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: ($0.45) A :diamond: 8 :diamond: 5 :club: (4 players)[/color]
      BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, BTN bets $0.34, BB folds, Hero calls $0.34, [color=grey]MP3 folds [/colour]

Turn: ($1.13) 5 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75

River: ($2.63) 9 :spade: (2 players)

Results:
      $2.63 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: A :diamond: 8 :diamond: 5 :club: 5 :heart: 9 :spade:
      BTN showed 9 :heart: T :spade:( -$1.19 net)
      Hero showed 6 :diamond: [/img] 7 :diamond: and won $2.49 ($1.30 net)

I thought I had the implied odds to call this down, even if the correct pot odds weren't really there, is this correct? The player was quite passive (28VPIP/8PFR) preflop usually and so I figured he had TPTK/set with him being quite aggro on the flop and postflop? Is this the correct way to use implied odds (they're something I'm quite new to so struggle a bit)?

Also am I okay checking the river with him having been aggressive throughout with the intention of check raising?

MBJ_UK
  • 4 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Unfortunately the hand didn't manage to convert so now it is quite hard to read.
      I would like to ask you to convert it again and then post it, and press the "Advice the judge to have a second look button", so I can come back and review it. I think you might find THIS thread useful.

Best,
      Plamen
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Hi, sorry about the conversion, think it's pretty much fixed now, could you have another look for me please :) ? much appreciated, thanks for the link to the other thread too :)
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      PF: Fold. You should only be opening a tight range, e.g. AJs+ AQo+ 22+.

You want to raise these hands. You not only get value from worse hands but also capatilize on the dead money when you steal the blinds.

F: Nice flop! You are going to win at showdown a lot here since you have so many outs, so you should be looking to bet with the hope of raising all-in. Well done for noticing you have a monster draw!

As played on turn:
      I think your OK to call for implied odds here. He only has a set or better with 88 or 55 since AA is raising pre-flop.

You've got 15 outs, so will win roughly 1 out of every 3 times.

Therefore, when you win, you need to win at least 3 * 0.75 = 2.25 to break even. This is definitely possible since he most likely has Ax here and will be willing to call a big bet on river.

River:
      When you hit on river, bet big to get maximum value, $2 seems attainable.

If he raises on river, I'd probably look to fold as he is unlikely to raise worse.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MBJUK
      Hi, sorry about the conversion, think it's pretty much fixed now, could you have another look for me please :) ? much appreciated, thanks for the link to the other thread too :)
      You are welcome sir.

Now to the hand:

Don't really like limping in this spot. This hand does look good, but at the end of the day it is really dominated and it is likely to put us in a lot of troubles especially if you chase weak draws or call with medium pairs.

This flop is great for our hand here, but we have to ask ourselves how much fold equity exactly do we have and do we really want to build up the pot with 7 high?
      The answer here is no in my opinion so I like check/calling. I wouldn't say that betting is bad though, since we do have a lot of outs.

The turn quite much depends on what kind of opponent you are against. Against a passive player I would rather call here as well, since he is likely to have a strong hand and much less likely to be a draw.

As played, I would rather bet myself here against a passive opponent.