This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] nl40 Trips Facing River Raise

• Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      $0.20/$0.40 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Seat 1: Player1 ( €40.00 EUR ) - VPIP: 32, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 2.2, Hands: 164
      Seat 2: Player2 ( €20.96 EUR ) - VPIP: 40, PFR: 4, 3B: 10, AF: 3.0, Hands: 75
      Seat 3: Player3 ( €40.00 EUR ) - VPIP: 20, PFR: 16, 3B: 7, AF: 2.4, Hands: 784
      Seat 4: Hero ( €43.44 EUR )
      Seat 5: Player5 ( €11.23 EUR ) - VPIP: 28, PFR: 10, 3B: 4, AF: 6.8, Hands: 196
      Seat 6: Player6 ( €41.70 EUR ) - VPIP: 44, PFR: 29, 3B: 20, AF: 2.9, Hands: 305

Preflop: Hero is SB with K Q
      MP calls $0.40, CO calls $0.40, BTN folds, Hero raises to $2.60, BB folds, MP calls $2.20, CO folds

Flop: ($6) K J 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3, MP calls $3

Turn: ($12) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($12) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8, MP raises to $22, Hero????

Ok, so I can't really remember much about the table dynamics at the time but, as you can see, villain was a little wacky and pretty aggro. I had been playing pretty solid and not getting too out of line but maybe a little too squeezy.

A pretty standard squeeze spot pre-flop and MP calls. A nice flop and I'm not too scared of any turn card. I bet 1/2 pot, maybe I could go to $3.80 - $4.80 or so.

A great turn and of course I should probably continue betting but I checked, either hoping to check/call or check raise, I'm trying out some different lines, probably a mistake though. He didn't bite so I lead out on the river, could maybe go to $9-10 but whatever. He raises and I really did not feel great here but I guess there is no other alternative here but ship? Or not? He's repping 88, maybe a slow played KJ, 33 or maybe K8 but can I fold a hand this strong here? He cannot be bluffing here so it's just a matter of whether I beat more of his value hands? Let me know what you think.

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Ghartman,

Preflop: Given the villain type we are 3-betting here for value.

Postflop: Why can't he bluff there?

You took a line of bet 1/2 pot, ck turn and bet 3/4 on the river. So our hand may not look strong either and thus may easily induce a bluff raise.

So I think that we have at least a call.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

A. I disagree that he cannot be bluffing here. Maybe he doesn't do it too often but he definitely might be capable of bluffing some % of the time

B. Pot odds = 14/56 = 25%. Pretty easy call IMO + your hand is so under-represented

C. I don't get why you didn't bet the Turn, this looks like a pretty easy bet bet bet scenario to me. Expect him to call down with a ton of worse KX and some JX hands.

D. Shipping would be bad. Villain is mainly repping a weirdly played KX, some air, 88 and K8.

Thanks.