Should you always call a shove/Shove with AK pre-flop

• LHobson
      LHobson
      Bronze
      Personally i think you should do this 9/10 times because your likely to have 2 over cards or have them dominated.
      They wont have AA or KK most of the time so i think its pretty much 99% of the time?
  • 3 replies
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Having AK lowers the combinations of AA/KK by 50%. So technically it is not 99% of the time.

Generally you won't fold AK but consider these situations:
      -Nit 4bets vs your 3bet after opening UTG
      -You get cold 4bet shoved by a reg on the BB after you 3bet with AK from SB.
      -Unknown limp/3bets on UTG.

Whether you decide to shove with AK or even AQ and JJ depends on villain's ranges and frequencies.

Just because you block AA/KK does not mean that villain is definitely shoving with QQ or worse and worse Ax
    • camelz3391
      camelz3391
      Bronze
      Most of the time you should be going with AK pre.

Like mentioned above there are circumstances where its best not to.

For example, I would not be 3betting AK MP vs UTG and expecting to get it in.
    • ChangNoi77
      ChangNoi77
      Bronze
      What gets me thinking to much in game though is, when we know villain is calling OOP with weak hands more than he should so we can get value from our 3 bet, but this same player may only have a stack off range of KK+. This is pretty common playing micro Fr Zoom.

How can we decide when we get more value from when he calls to when we have to 3 bet and fold to a 4 bet?