This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR KK turn play - should I raise more?

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Known Players:
      MP1: $9.34 - 187 bb
      MP2: $5.15 - 103 bb
      MP3: $4.95 - 99 bb
      CO: $5.28 - 106 bb
      BU: $3.64 - 73 bb
      SB: $3.17 - 63 bb
      BB: $5.05 - 101 bb

0.02/0.05 No Limit Hold'em (7 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 1.1.417.4

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:diamond: , K:club:
      SB posts small blind ($0.02), BB posts big blind ($0.05), Hero raises for $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.47 - 9.40 bb) 9:heart: , 5:spade: , 5:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP3 calls

Turn: ($1.07 - 21.40 bb) 2:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.60, Hero raises for $1.65, MP3 calls

River: ($4.37 - 87.40 bb) 4:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $2.80, MP3 calls

-----

MP3 was unknown.

PRE
      Fine

FLOP
      Standard. In retrospect, could have bet +1bb more as the guy was unknown = no need to balance.

TURN
      Having observed the quite common tendency of players to bet when checked to on the turn I opted for a check/raise.
      Raise just 33bb to make him more inclined to call with lower PPs/9x.

Should my raise be larger by default?

RIVER
      Shipping for value.
  • 3 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      pre flop - seems fine

flop - i think your bet sizing is fine, this board is dry so i wouldnt make it too big, on a 78J board ill make it very big though.

turn - i dont like the check raise, the board does not hit his range well and he usually has nothing, i prefer a check/call with intention of either betting the river myself for value if the board gets wetter or check/calling again as a bluffcatch.

river - as played i think betting is fine, he probably called with some pair or draw which could call again.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi cutegoldfish

Also, I forgot to mention another reason for my turn play - I wouldn't be able to put my whole stack in if I c/c turn and c/c or bet river.

Thanks for the evaluation!
      Dawidas
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      i know we wont be able to get our stacks in but i dont think that is the main issue here.

the main issue is how we can get max value from his entire range and i think his entire range is more likely going to be weak/thrash hands and to get max value from that check/calling as a bluffcatch or betting ourself could be better than check/raising

let me try to phrase it another way

1. lets say we check/raise, most of the time hes just going to fold becuase he has nothing and once in a while we stack that 9X or middle pair and get killed by 5X

2. lets say we check/call, we usually get a little extra value from his one bluff that he takes from his thrash/weak hand and win a small pot.

2 happens very much more often than 1 and therefore we get more value from 2 than 1.

cgf