[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR KK turn play - should I raise more?

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Known Players:
      MP1: $9.34 - 187 bb
      MP2: $5.15 - 103 bb
      MP3: $4.95 - 99 bb
      CO: $5.28 - 106 bb
      BU: $3.64 - 73 bb
      SB: $3.17 - 63 bb
      BB: $5.05 - 101 bb

0.02/0.05 No Limit Hold'em (7 Handed)
      Hand recorder for this hand: PokerStrategy.com SideKick 1.1.417.4

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:diamond: , K:club:
      SB posts small blind ($0.02), BB posts big blind ($0.05), Hero raises for $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.47 - 9.40 bb) 9:heart: , 5:spade: , 5:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP3 calls

Turn: ($1.07 - 21.40 bb) 2:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.60, Hero raises for $1.65, MP3 calls

River: ($4.37 - 87.40 bb) 4:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $2.80, MP3 calls

-----

MP3 was unknown.

PRE
      Fine

FLOP
      Standard. In retrospect, could have bet +1bb more as the guy was unknown = no need to balance.

TURN
      Having observed the quite common tendency of players to bet when checked to on the turn I opted for a check/raise.
      Raise just 33bb to make him more inclined to call with lower PPs/9x.

Should my raise be larger by default?

RIVER
      Shipping for value.
  • 3 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      pre flop - seems fine

flop - i think your bet sizing is fine, this board is dry so i wouldnt make it too big, on a 78J board ill make it very big though.

turn - i dont like the check raise, the board does not hit his range well and he usually has nothing, i prefer a check/call with intention of either betting the river myself for value if the board gets wetter or check/calling again as a bluffcatch.

river - as played i think betting is fine, he probably called with some pair or draw which could call again.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi cutegoldfish

Also, I forgot to mention another reason for my turn play - I wouldn't be able to put my whole stack in if I c/c turn and c/c or bet river.

Thanks for the evaluation!
      Dawidas
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      i know we wont be able to get our stacks in but i dont think that is the main issue here.

the main issue is how we can get max value from his entire range and i think his entire range is more likely going to be weak/thrash hands and to get max value from that check/calling as a bluffcatch or betting ourself could be better than check/raising

let me try to phrase it another way

1. lets say we check/raise, most of the time hes just going to fold becuase he has nothing and once in a while we stack that 9X or middle pair and get killed by 5X

2. lets say we check/call, we usually get a little extra value from his one bluff that he takes from his thrash/weak hand and win a small pot.

2 happens very much more often than 1 and therefore we get more value from 2 than 1.

cgf