Flop Problem

• MP87
      MP87
      Bronze
      The general situation is as follows;

-Open raise from late position with a good hand
      -Conti-bet the flop
      -No callers behind me on the flop but I get raised from early position

Now it's back to me facing a raise of 1 small bet. Of course I call flop/raise turn with a made hand here. However, If I do not have a made hand yet do I just play this by Odds&Outs? I have found that lately a couple specific players that know I conti-bet the flop 100% against 2 or less opponents consistently raise me on the flop and bet out the turn. This makes playing overcards pretty difficult as I usually don't hit the flop with them but I get correct odds to call a flop raise, yet I have to muck on the turn all the time. Is this the right play? I've read "Postflop: Standard Playing styles against one opponent" many times but this is strategy against a generic player that isn't playing back at you.
  • 5 replies
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      It's not easy to find answer to such complex question. I know it's mentioned in almost every thread here, but it depends on the situation: what's your opponent's playing style postflop (doesn't matter on VPIP or PFR.. important are stats like WTSD, c/r flop & turn, AF) and of course on board (draw-heavy / 1 face card / paired etc.)...

It'd be the best if you could post some example hands here with opponent's stats.
    • MP87
      MP87
      Bronze
      I've only been on PokerStrategy for around a month now so I still need more points for the Elephant license, so for now I am playing w/o stats :( I usually get a read or 2 on most players but I play 4 tables so a lot of times the opponent is unknown. I have posted a lot of these hands in the bronze sample hands forum but I'm guessing not too many platinum players are reading our 0.25/0.50 threads lol. I do feel like the feedback I've received has helped me in this situation a lot but I still feel a bit weak. Hopefully when I get the license it will help make this decision a lot easier. Thanks opal.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Why "Thanks Opal."?
      I didn't help you at all :(
      But I have good tip for you: Elephant has 21 days trial version you can use before you reach 1000 points for licence. And if you don't get it before trial expire, you still can download PokerTracker 3, which has 60 days trial (this way you have 11 weeks to get 1000 points what I think shouldn't be problem for you ;) ).

and btw: check out german forum . . you can download a lot of HHs there, what helps a lot
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi MP87,

I can only guess but I think that these check/raises came to you in a short period and so you are questioning this play.
      It can be very hard if you get raised all the time while hitting nothing.
      You should just go on as usual. If you get raised you call the flop and reevaluate on the turn.
      If you hold less than A-hig with no draw then just fold.
      If you hold a good made hand then raise or calldown. These too situations are pretty standard for you I guess.
      If you hold A-high or a weak made hand then take alook back at the flop. Could it be that your opponent raised on a draw? If yes then call if a blank hits and fold otherwise.
      Now this isn't so easy as it sounds but there is also no 1 way answer. All I can tell you is that you should post hands where you get into this kind of spot.

Recording a video (even without sound) may help you a lot here to get your confident back. (Don't make it llast longer than 20-30 minutes without sound please.)
    • MP87
      MP87
      Bronze
      Right on, thanks ciRith. I will look into possibly recording a video in the future.