[NL20-NL50] nl20 sh AA

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $34.28 (171.4 bb)
      CO: $20 (100 bb)
      BTN: $20.50 (102.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $20.70 (103.5 bb)
      BB: $14.36 (71.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A A
      MP raises to $0.70, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.40, BB folds, MP calls $1.70

Flop: ($5) 3 Q Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

Turn: ($5) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, MP calls $2.50

River: ($10) T (2 players)
      Hero???

villain is relatively unknown, but he's been active over a small sample. seems quite loose and is ~35/32, could be an aggressive reg running well.

on this flop i have no clue how to continue now. what should my plan be? i think it would be a little naive to bet simply because there is a FD possible and other than a FD there are pretty much no weaker hands that will call unless he hero calls with JJ or something.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey Lewis,

I personally like checking this flop in a 3bet quite often. It's not likely to get value from midpairs most of the time so I just strengthen my checking range by checking aces very often, though still not 100% of the time.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey manu, i edited the hand to the next problem i had in it which was playing the river. i think the turn bet is okay once he checks behind i dont really see a reason to check twice. so i bet for value vs the FDs and MPs which will now probably start bluffcatching. but the river is a terrible card and i have no clue what to do.

normally in this hand i would cbet flop, check/fold turn which is a pretty bad way of playing it. but now that i've started experimenting with not cbetting all the time i'm getting into so many f'd up situations that i don't really know how to handle and this was one :D so what would your plan be here? it feels like the only possible hand i can get value from if i bet would be JJ which bluffcatches. his check back flop-call turn line seems like either a draw or a SDV/bluffcatcher... would you agree?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It doesn't seem tough to me actually... :)

He bets IP with most FDs imo so on the river you are likely to have the best hand and be up against 8x, AT (from the A high range that can call a river bet) and some other pairs from 22 to 99, sometimes JJ.

You also don't represent a big deal of made hands (most assume you cbet AA there so they get very confused) so I would just value bet a standard-ish amount of 5-5.50.

Do you get why? We just exclude hands he'dbet on the flop and we usually end up with a range of bluffcatcher type hands worse than AA while we are not perceived to have any ovepair.