[NL20-NL50] Can I really call the river profitably there ever?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      PKR, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $4.81 (19.2 bb)
      BB: $10.89 (43.6 bb) 75/0 4 hands
      UTG: $46.08 (184.3 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)
      Hero (CO): $25 (100 bb)
      BTN: $58.17 (232.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A K
      UTG calls $0.25, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.35) T A Q (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $1.76, BB calls $1.76, UTG folds

Turn: ($5.87) 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.40, BB calls $4.40

River: ($14.67) K (2 players)
      BB bets $3.98 and is all-in, Hero calls $3.98
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: Any reason for this abnormally small iso-raise size? UTG is full-stacked so I think you should be raising to $1-1.25 here.

Flop: I would often check here on such a flop texture cos the relative hand value of AK on this coordinated 3 broadway Flop drops by a lot. But you are up against two fishes so I think betting looks really standard.

Turn: Standard bet again, you could bet slightly smaller so stack sizes aren't so awkward on the River.

River: You have to call here given pot odds. Hope he has busted flush draws or overplays a hand like KQ.

Thanks.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by mbml

Flop: I would often check here on such a flop texture cos the relative hand value of AK on this coordinated 3 broadway Flop drops by a lot.
      Can you talk a bit more about this, I have read this before as well, I auto pilot cbet here but could you talk more of the reasons as to why check flop and what lines can be taken for the rest of the hand.

Originally posted by mbml
      River: You have to call here given pot odds. Hope he has busted flush draws or overplays a hand like KQ.

Yeah I called hoping they would have some stupid random hands but they always show the most creative Jx here, like this gentleman proudly showed J3. #beingtotallyresultoriented :D
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      It's mostly about relative hand strength.

Formulating a Post-flop Plan
      1. Look at the board texture
      2. Decide how your hand fares vs your opponent's range on the flop
      3. Decide how many streets of value you can go for

A. Your hand is a monster -> bet thrice
      B. Your hand is really weak -> check/fold
      C. You have a medium-strong hand -> you can go for 2 streets of value. Now decide how you want to put in two bets. Flop and Turn? Turn and River?

Also, think about whether you are liking your situation if you get raised. Could you call AK vs a raise? I know I wouldn't be thrilled. Also, on boards where you are going to be checking a lot, you should generally check a lot of medium-strong hands as well.

This is a flop i'm going to give up really often and since AK is a hand which cannot go for 3 streets I think this is a decent spot to c/c the flop. If it gets checked, then just bet turn and river.

Thanks.