[NL20-NL50] AK vs tight

• yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      356 hands 21/17/ 79 cbet/ 50 T cbet/ 79 fold to 3b

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $13.43 (67.1 bb)
      UTG: $20 (100 bb)
      MP: $16.45 (82.2 bb)
      CO: $7.60 (38 bb)
      BTN: $19.86 (99.3 bb)
      Hero (SB): $21.92 (109.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A K
      UTG raises to $0.60, 3 folds, Hero raises to $2, BB folds, UTG calls $1.40

Flop: ($4.20) 4 6 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks

Turn: ($4.20) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.40, UTG calls $2.40

River: ($9) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.20, UTG calls $4.20

Results:
      $17.40 pot ($0.87 rake)
      Final Board: 4 6 5 K Q
      UTG showed K A and won $8.26 (-$0.34 net)
      Hero mucked A K and won $8.27 (-$0.33 net)

He's tight but I didn't want to just flat and c/f most of the flops I see. When he calls I decide to play straight forward postflop.

What do you think about R "vbet"? Problem is that he doesn't have KJ or weaker Kx, even KQ is not that likely for him. And I don't think I can get value from JJ or lower pairs. So I'm not sure whether this R bet has any value at all?
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: What's his opening range here? 14%? I would definitely flat here in BB. From the SB it could be more of a 3bet. I don't really mind flatting here because BB shouldn't be completing too widely, and you can always back-raise vs a squeeze.

No one said you had to c/f everytime you miss, because you have the nut Ace high non-pair and you can c/c around 80-90% of flops IMO (basically any dry Flop)

Flop: I think you can cbet here and multi-barrel. If the board was 789 then I would definitely give up.

Turn: Standard bet

River: I agree that he virtually never has KQ here, maybe 2 combos of KQs but I think he even folds that. It's hard to get value but you have to bet and hope he calls you with something. You should also be bluffing on this run-out like 100% of the time on the Turn and River.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml

Preflop: What's his opening range here? 14%?
      11%. That's quite value EP range I agree.

I would definitely flat here in BB. From the SB it could be more of a 3bet. I don't really mind flatting here because BB shouldn't be completing too widely, and you can always back-raise vs a squeeze.
      I don't get it quite... If BB is squeezing isn't he doing it with super strong range that crushes us and we get a flip in best case? Vs ep and sb 3b, his range is usually super strong, do we always 5b in this kind of spot (if ep folds)?

Flop: I think you can cbet here and multi-barrel. If the board was 789 then I would definitely give up.
      If we cbet we have to barrel T as well not matter what comes? Let's say it comes T or 9 on this kind of board and we get called. Do we still barrel R? I wouldn't in this spot.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Preflop Tightness

Vs an 11% range I think calling is by far the best play. Don't like the 3bet when villain is so tight here. His range is almost exclusively KQ/AJ+/22+

Backraising

You are not doing that great against QQ+/AK. However, the main profit from your play comes when he folds to the back-raise all-in. I think he could potentially be squeeze/folding hands like AJ/KQ/AQ. That's a reasonable assumption to make vs the average opponent.

I was talking about calling, meaning UTG opens and SB calls, then BB 3bet squeezes, and you 4bet all-in with AKo. I'm not referring to 5betting over a cold 4bet.

Multi-barreling
      There are some cards which are bad for barreling - Mainly pairing and coordinating cards. These cards will strengthen villain's calling range.

I changed my mind
      Since villain is opening only 11%, I would not even have 3betted in the first place. And now as played I would just c/f the Flop.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Preflop Tightness

Vs an 11% range I think calling is by far the best play. Don't like the 3bet when villain is so tight here. His range is almost exclusively KQ/AJ+/22+
      Because his range is so tight + he cbets a lot I was thinking of rather 3b -> he folds weaker range and against stronger range I play straight forward anyway against him. Problem is that I usually isolate myself against better hands. So in future against tight EP raiser it's better to just flat and play straight forward I guess.

Backraising

You are not doing that great against QQ+/AK. However, the main profit from your play comes when he folds to the back-raise all-in. I think he could potentially be squeeze/folding hands like AJ/KQ/AQ. That's a reasonable assumption to make vs the average opponent.

I was talking about calling, meaning UTG opens and SB calls, then BB 3bet squeezes, and you 4bet all-in with AKo. I'm not referring to 5betting over a cold 4bet.
      Seems logical. Will have that in mind next time.

Tnx for your time :)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think your primary concern with a medium/strong hand is whether you can 3bet for value or not and if you cannot because you would only isolate yourself vs stronger hands, then you should just call.

This should be the main question you are asking yourself before deciding on 3betting or not. I think other factors like playability are not as important.