This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] AK getting value

• yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      41 hands 23/13/ 0 fold from SB/ 0 3b

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $20 (100 bb)
      UTG: $8 (40 bb)
      MP: $9 (45 bb)
      Hero (CO): $20.26 (101.3 bb)
      BTN: $13.07 (65.4 bb)
      SB: $20.30 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, BTN folds, SB calls $0.50, BB folds

Flop: ($1.40) 7 T A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.95, SB calls $0.95

Turn: ($3.30) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.05, SB calls $2.05

River: ($7.40) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.65, SB calls $2.65

Results:
      $12.70 pot ($0.63 rake)
      Final Board: 7 T A 5 8
      Hero mucked A K and won $12.07 ($5.82 net)
      SB showed Q A and lost (-$6.25 net)

Villain is unknown but seems a bit tight.

On flop I cbet standard but I should bet a bit more.

On T I'm not sure what to do. Seeing it now I should probably go for bigger value on the T and reevaluate R. Maybe even thinking about c R if it comes bad - J, Q, :diamond: . Should have bet sth like $2,75?

R is quite ok card but for some reason I went for super small size. Better was to vbet sth like $4,90 I think? Since he called two streets he has Ax most of the times. If he has flush and slowplayed it he's raising us on the R, we're folding to any r on the R.

I lost a lot of value I think ~ $5-$6?
  • 2 replies
    • pokerferrer
      pokerferrer
      Bronze
      Main problem of hero's sizing on the river is it can easily induce bluff. Also I don't expect opponent to fold here Ace with a good kicker. So I prefer to bet $4 - $4.5 on the river, which is still balanced with flushes and rare bluffs.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

About villain: He looks like some tight/passive fish to me. I'll just bet larger with strong hands.

Flop: You can bet larger here since the board is so draw heavy. $1.10 is my preferred size.

Turn: Flush got there. I still think you have the best hand really often so you should fire thrice. He should have way more AX combos than flush combos, and you can very easily bet/fold against a Turn or River raise.

River: I agree with the small bet if you think you cannot get value from a half pot bet. I think pokerferrer's concern about inducing a bluff is not too relevant here - That guy seems passive after all and passive fishes will rarely bluff here.

Question is whether you can get more value with a half pot bet, and I think the answer is yes so you should bet half pot anyway.