Alternative Internet connection advice

• julito23
      julito23
      Gold
      Hi,

I just moved in into a new student dormitory in Uppsala, Sweden. Here all the students living in dormitories around the city share a common net called opennet, and as you can imagine it is not the best connection on Earth. It can be working decently in non-peak ours, but when the night approaches the swedish students get all aroused at the same time and start saturating the net.

This is a big problem for me because I have been making a living out of SnGs for the last few months, and even a 3 minutes disconnection can turn out to be fatal money-wise.

I have been asking around to the official swedish ISP´s (like Telia) but they say that they cannot offer a regular internet connection to the dormitory because the internal networks is out of their domains.

I have been considering having a back-up 3G connection, but these normally tend out to be very slow and expensive. Ideally I would like to find a solution as good as a regular cable/phone line connection and avoid 3G if possible.

I would really appreciate is somebody can come up with a good idea or perhaps someone has been in a similar situation. I assume there are plenty of players who have backup connections.

Thank you very much.
  • 6 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Don't know how good your Swedish is but maybe you should post in our Swedish community?

http://sv.pokerstrategy.com
    • julito23
      julito23
      Gold
      OK I will try that. I just think that I can get more inputs on this forum, but who knows.

Thanks.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      I will keep this open also so don't worry :)
    • doctorkgb
      doctorkgb
      Bronze
      3g connections(USB ones)tend to be good and stable if signal strenght and network coverage are good. Not to be confused, Im talking about HSPA/HSPA+ networks. They go up to 42Mb/s in ideal conditions.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Yeah, what drkgb said.

If you have a smartphone (I know about androids, but iphones probably can do this as well) you can make a hotspot through it (if you have a wireless thingy on your PC or own a laptop obv) to test the signal that way.
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      if there is a phone line, you could try going old-school and hook up with a dial-up modem. Speed is obviously bad, but might be better than nothing.

Also, there is WiMAX, which might work for you. No clue, who is WiMAX provider in Sweden.

another thing, which you might want to consider is investing into another network card or router, supporting dual-connection setup, where you can switch between connections rapidly, if one goes down.

and lastly, there are always network admins/gifted students, who could in theory allocate a fixed portion of bandwidth to your connection. should probably keep it hush hush though.

good luck!