4 folds, Hero bets $0.75, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.50) 7, 9, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($3.50) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25

River: ($8) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $4, Hero calls $4

Total pot: $16 | Rake: $0.72

When he calls the preflop I give him a range like A2-A9, K9+, Q8+, J9+,22-55, 67s+
      On the flop I thought about cbetting like I always do, but I want to build up a c/c range.
      What I did sometimes in the past was to decide playing c/c 3streets but I foldet so often on the river,obviously a leak. In this spot I see him semibluffing his draws and lower pockets and I think he can also bet those bluffs on the river once again.

I think the biggest problem is, that villain was unknown and its all just suggestions, which is not very well. But if I know that my villain does so, do you think a calldown with my hand is ok in this spot, or is this the absolute wrong hand to build up a c/c range?
  • 1 reply
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Jazzy29,

Usually good spots to c/c OOP are non-vulnerable hands on dry board. For example A3 on A72r or KK on A93. Even still a preferred option by many players is to bet flop hoping to extract value from floats and then turn hand into a bluff-catcher on turn.

In this case since your pair is very low I much prefer turning your hand into a semi-bluff (or thin value vs draws) and betting. While check/calling here is not theoretically wrong, you are letting opponent always see a turn in a situation where he often has a decent amount of equity. It's very difficult to evaluate which turn/river cards are bad for you.

If you do check/call flop I think it's fine to go ahead and check/fold river. Your line here itself may sometimes be useful, but usually on a drier board with a stronger pair.