[NL2-NL10] NL10 set on the river

• Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      I should've taken a stab at this on the flop. Wasn't sure what to make of the river, tbh.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $6.70
      UTG+2:
      $22.10
      Hero:
      $10.45

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6:heart: , 6:spade:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.10, 4 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.35) 8:diamond: , 2:club: , A:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.35) 9:spade: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.35) 6:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG+2 bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.70, BB folds, UTG+2 raises to $1.20, Hero calls $0.50.

Final Pot: $2.75
  • 3 replies
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      Sure would be nice to get a bit more value on the river, hey? Push a bit more of villain's stack across the line, stir the pot...

but alarm bells are going off. He's telling us he likes the 6 too. Entirely possible he's a Daniel Negreanu fanboy, and plays every 7T he gets dealt. He could very easily have backed into the nuts.

I think I'd check this flop too. Since we aren't the aggressor, I think our fold equity is low, and players will only fold if they have nothing. Maybe UTG+2 is slowplaying an Ace; he wants someone to stab at this pot, and you'd have to fold to his checkraise on the flop. You often have the best hand here, but you're likely to have the best hand after two more cards as well. This might be the wrong play though, I'm not sure either.

I like the way you played the river. If he has nothing, or just a pair, he won't call anymore (unless he's slowplaying an Ace, and has gotten emotionally attached to the hand). His bluff - rebluff is over. If he has backed into the nuts, we only have to pay him five more dimes, which is a cheap price to see the nuts at.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I also like how you played your hand. You don´t have the nuts, so no point investing more money in the pot.
    • Jumbles
      Jumbles
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comments, it's much appreciated.

He hit top two on the flop, in case anyone's interested.