telegeek

• telegeek
      telegeek
      Bronze
      Hello School :) (dont be fooled by my gold ranking, its payed for to access silver and gold articles)

Im telegeek, a 28 year old beginning NL player.

My poker background goes something like this:

Ive read alot of the old classics in pokerbooks, and also read on different forums after that most of them are a bit outdated. I have tried to "learn" poker 2-3 times before, over the past 5 years, but because of only loosing or lack of focus I have given up within a month or two every time.

I did try to play fixed limit at one point but over roughly 40k hands my profit graph went down down down.

But while playing FL, a year ago perhaps, I met a player on stars that told me about this site. I still ended up taking a year break, but when i came back i picked up the MSS (about a month ago) and started playing from what was left of my bankroll on stars from my failed attempt at limit holdem (48 dollars).

The past month of reading articles and watching MSS videos did take my roll to about twice the amount i started with, mostly playing 3 table 5NL and when i reached 100 dollars i took a shot at 10NL (moving down @ 60 dollars) Went up to nearly 3x starting bankroll, before falling to my current state that is 66 dollars, and nearly time to move down.

I think my biggest problem is post flop play, as my blue line (pt3 went to showdown winnings) are way below the rising red line and the profit line. And I read or heard in a video that the BSS section is helpful for post flop play. And also i wanted to expand my understanding for the big stackers sitting at the tables, as all i know is basic MSS.

And for some reason i dont know i stumbled across the Beginners Course, that looked super interessting as I only used to read random articles and watch videos before, with no plan and no thought to what comes first and how to progress.

So here we are now, my roll climbed, and fell down again, im at the beginning of this course, and am ready to learn :)

Homework 1 and 2 follows in the next few posts, as I already did read and watched the videos / coachingvids for them before i decided to post the forum :)
  • 11 replies
    • telegeek
      telegeek
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Ive been playing alot of different stuff over the years, from MMORPGs to strategy games. I always loved the challenges and thinking aspect of gaming alot better than the focus on fancy graphics and pretty lights. I have also always been facinated on the fact that some games have the potential to win money instead of just costing money (and time). I always loved a game that can keep me challenged and that cant be figured out (ever?) and that there also is a small chance of getting a small profit spending my time on, compared to just paying money to mindlessly play videogames.

I have tried a few times before, over the past 4-5 years, with both tournaments, sit'n'goes, and FL cash games, but I havent really had any success, mainly because of lacking guidance i guess, as i have tried on my own with no real learning focus and no direction to move in. And when there is sooooo much information avalible, and noone to tell me where to start, i probably have consumed way to much poker theory without learning much that i was able to actually take advantage of.

But in general, my motivation, to challenge myself, to learn and perhaps to make a little money from doing it, instead of just spending money.

And as a bonus motivator, i found some fantastic posts in the forums about self development, both in poker and life, and if i can learn to handle the rest of my life in a better way aswell, that will be a huge bonus :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Where to begin :P

1) I know for a fact that im way to result oriented, I care to much if a session (a few hundred hands) are a winning or a losing one, and i check my PT (moneystats) and cashier (on stars) WAY too often. Im trying to be aware and to not do it, but its difficult, especially when I started my drop from 130 to 66 dollars (where im currently at).

2) My preflop game, with regards to when to play differently from the chart. I can find many spots where i want to do it, but thats more cuz i think KQ is pretty, and not so much cuz the spots are correct. Im fairly good at not doing it though, but I got alot to learn about when to play more dynamic preflop. I cant post my MSS stats (different chart, but same prinicple) cuz PT is on other comp, but I have been playing 10 over 9 (vpip/pfr) at NL5 and 13.5 over 11 at NL10, I do believe its not where my worst mistakes are made.

3) Mindset, I care to much about things that might occur at the tables, like losing hands that i feel i shouldnt (80%+ favorite hands) and lose a few buyins in the beginning of a session etc. Its not that I change my playstyle alot according to it, atleast not preflop, but its no fun to play with the feeling that the universe wants me to fail.

4) Postflop. Alot of mistakes are done postflop I think, i tend to win small pots and lose big ones, so there must be alot of spots where im not playing correct here. This is the main reason i picked up the beginners course, cuz a MSS video lead me to the BSS section for learning better postflop play :)

5) Blind stealing, I try to steal from tight players, and leave the loose ones more or less alone, but I dont really have a clue, so I think i have alot of leaks/mistakes here.

This is what I can think of right now, but I guess there are alot more :P

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

A loose player plays alot of hands preflop, while a tight player does play fewer hands. So if u play tight then u fold most hands, and play the good ones :) Or i guess u could play tight with only low off suit connectors, but u shouldnt :P

And an agressive player is a player that bets and raise their good hands instead of checking and calling with them. (that would make u a passive player).

And to summarize (spellcheck? :f_eek: ) A tight agressive player is a player who plays a relatively small range of hands, premium and good ones, and they play them agressively, meaning they bet and raise with them, and lead the pots where they want them, instead of just sitting there, let the other have initiative, and call down and hope and pray that their cards hit.

Also a good TAG should have stack sizes, player tendensies and possition in their mind while making their plays :)
    • telegeek
      telegeek
      Bronze
      2 days of playing BSS so far, just practicing following a different chart than what im used too, and not to get myself stuck in too hard and stupid postflop situations that makes me give away my bankroll :)

• BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Telegeek,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by telegeek
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Ive been playing alot of different stuff over the years, from MMORPGs to strategy games. I always loved the challenges and thinking aspect of gaming alot better than the focus on fancy graphics and pretty lights. I have also always been facinated on the fact that some games have the potential to win money instead of just costing money (and time). I always loved a game that can keep me challenged and that cant be figured out (ever?) and that there also is a small chance of getting a small profit spending my time on, compared to just paying money to mindlessly play videogames.

I have tried a few times before, over the past 4-5 years, with both tournaments, sit'n'goes, and FL cash games, but I havent really had any success, mainly because of lacking guidance i guess, as i have tried on my own with no real learning focus and no direction to move in. And when there is sooooo much information avalible, and noone to tell me where to start, i probably have consumed way to much poker theory without learning much that i was able to actually take advantage of.

But in general, my motivation, to challenge myself, to learn and perhaps to make a little money from doing it, instead of just spending money.

And as a bonus motivator, i found some fantastic posts in the forums about self development, both in poker and life, and if i can learn to handle the rest of my life in a better way aswell, that will be a huge bonus :)
      Your background with computer games should definitely help you with online poker. If nothing else you will already be familiar with spending time in front of a computer screen :)

Your motivations are all solid and my advice to you is to find a game type you like (or better yet, love) and start getting better at that. It doesn't matter if it's FL, NLHE, cash games, tourneys, etc.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Where to begin :P

1) I know for a fact that im way to result oriented, I care to much if a session (a few hundred hands) are a winning or a losing one, and i check my PT (moneystats) and cashier (on stars) WAY too often. Im trying to be aware and to not do it, but its difficult, especially when I started my drop from 130 to 66 dollars (where im currently at).

I do recommend moving down, given your recent losses. To help with the results orientation part try to remove the stats (from PT) that show the overall winnings. I know that in HM (what I use) it's possible so it should be possible in PT as well.

2) My preflop game, with regards to when to play differently from the chart. I can find many spots where i want to do it, but thats more cuz i think KQ is pretty, and not so much cuz the spots are correct. Im fairly good at not doing it though, but I got alot to learn about when to play more dynamic preflop. I cant post my MSS stats (different chart, but same prinicple) cuz PT is on other comp, but I have been playing 10 over 9 (vpip/pfr) at NL5 and 13.5 over 11 at NL10, I do believe its not where my worst mistakes are made.

Most of the big mistakes do start preflop so I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of your problems start there as well.

Playing a MSS game has a higher variance than a BSS game so you will experience larger swings.

3) Mindset, I care to much about things that might occur at the tables, like losing hands that i feel i shouldnt (80%+ favorite hands) and lose a few buyins in the beginning of a session etc. Its not that I change my playstyle alot according to it, atleast not preflop, but its no fun to play with the feeling that the universe wants me to fail.

This is common however there is plenty of material on this site to help you with this. You can only get better at it if you work on it.

4) Postflop. Alot of mistakes are done postflop I think, i tend to win small pots and lose big ones, so there must be alot of spots where im not playing correct here. This is the main reason i picked up the beginners course, cuz a MSS video lead me to the BSS section for learning better postflop play :)

Experience, Experience, Experience :)

As you can see that's very important. You have to do a "trial and error" and find out what works and what doesn't/ Postflop is different for a MSS player so knowing or understanding why and how it's important. For example, one of the easiest things we can spot, is the fact that we have less money behind and thus less streets to play on.

5) Blind stealing, I try to steal from tight players, and leave the loose ones more or less alone, but I dont really have a clue, so I think i have alot of leaks/mistakes here.

This is what I can think of right now, but I guess there are alot more :P

At these lower limits a lot of your profit can be made from stealing these small pots. So I would definitely recommend stealing wide on the BTN and SB.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

A loose player plays alot of hands preflop, while a tight player does play fewer hands. So if u play tight then u fold most hands, and play the good ones :) Or i guess u could play tight with only low off suit connectors, but u shouldnt :P

And an agressive player is a player that bets and raise their good hands instead of checking and calling with them. (that would make u a passive player).

And to summarize (spellcheck? :f_eek: ) A tight agressive player is a player who plays a relatively small range of hands, premium and good ones, and they play them agressively, meaning they bet and raise with them, and lead the pots where they want them, instead of just sitting there, let the other have initiative, and call down and hope and pray that their cards hit.

Also a good TAG should have stack sizes, player tendensies and possition in their mind while making their plays :)
      Well done,

Homework 1 complete.

Best of luck at the tables.

Bogdan
    • telegeek
      telegeek
      Bronze
      Hello Bogdan :)

About the gametype, i enjoyed playing the MSS strategy alot, but felt a bit like i was missing out on value with monsters cuz of limited stack. After i found the beginners course and started playing NL2 BSS (i buy in for 250bbs) i found the game type i (atleast for now) love :) I moved down from NL10 MSS but it havent affected me at all to play on NL2 after getting used to NL10. Its a different world to be able to play the hands, not just raise, raise, shove, or raise fold. :)

I dont believe I make too many mistakes preflop, as i follow the chart for about 99% of cases. My MSS postflop problems have been more like not being able to correctly analyze flops and enemies hand ranges, as I did have very limited knowlege to BSS chart and play before i switched to BSS myself :)

I also started working on my mindset, found THIS thread on the forum, and am working to implement the ideas into my own life :)

The stealing blinds and working on not getting screwed over postflop is a work in progress, i try not to get mixed up in situations where mistakes get made very easy, and also try to avoid being a total pushover at the tables :)

THIS post on 2+2 forum also helped me alot understanding what it takes to beat the micros :)

Will post my updated results and stats from NL2 and homework 2 soon :)
    • telegeek
      telegeek
      Bronze
      Time to post more homework :)

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I try to follow the chart pretty accurately but when I go outside the lines of the chart its usually this:

1. I bet some of the higher "low pairs" like 88-99 from early position. They are usually really easy to play postflop.

2. In middle position the chart says open call (limp) with the low pairs, here i tend to raise 66-99, atleast under some conditions, on tables where people are affraid to 3bet even hands like KK, and people call down with anything

3. Some of the AQ, AJs and ATs hands i 3bet in position against openraisers i consider to open way wide ranges.

Thats about it i think. I try to analyze my oponents and try avoiding getting into tricky situations out of position

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

HERE IS MY POSTED HAND :)

I also wonder if there are any spots where playing hands like KQs preflop against a raiser can be profitable. Its understandable that lying them down keeps me out of difficult spots, but i see other successful players play them. Maybe its something ill learn later on?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

My calculation using Equilator looks like this

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.33%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.67%  45.26%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • telegeek
      telegeek
      Bronze
      I know technically i should buyin for 100 bbs, but on NL2 on stars i buyin table maximum 250bb

graph and stats continued from previous result post, still LOVING BSS compared to MSS

and sooo close to 10k hands :)

• BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Bogdan :)

About the gametype, i enjoyed playing the MSS strategy alot, but felt a bit like i was missing out on value with monsters cuz of limited stack. After i found the beginners course and started playing NL2 BSS (i buy in for 250bbs) i found the game type i (atleast for now) love :) I moved down from NL10 MSS but it havent affected me at all to play on NL2 after getting used to NL10. Its a different world to be able to play the hands, not just raise, raise, shove, or raise fold. :)

Ideally, you'd want to transition to a BSS stack as soon as possible and you have just started the process.

Keep it up and soon you'll make the permanent move.

I dont believe I make too many mistakes preflop, as i follow the chart for about 99% of cases. My MSS postflop problems have been more like not being able to correctly analyze flops and enemies hand ranges, as I did have very limited knowlege to BSS chart and play before i switched to BSS myself :)

I also started working on my mindset, found THIS thread on the forum, and am working to implement the ideas into my own life :)

Good job. That's definitely a big part of your poker game and very few people start to work on it so early in their career. Thus I'd like to congratulate you for doing that :)

The stealing blinds and working on not getting screwed over postflop is a work in progress, i try not to get mixed up in situations where mistakes get made very easy, and also try to avoid being a total pushover at the tables :)

THIS post on 2+2 forum also helped me alot understanding what it takes to beat the micros :)

Will post my updated results and stats from NL2 and homework 2 soon :)
      Keep up the great work,

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Time to post more homework :)

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I try to follow the chart pretty accurately but when I go outside the lines of the chart its usually this:

1. I bet some of the higher "low pairs" like 88-99 from early position. They are usually really easy to play postflop.

2. In middle position the chart says open call (limp) with the low pairs, here i tend to raise 66-99, atleast under some conditions, on tables where people are affraid to 3bet even hands like KK, and people call down with anything

3. Some of the AQ, AJs and ATs hands i 3bet in position against openraisers i consider to open way wide ranges.

Thats about it i think. I try to analyze my oponents and try avoiding getting into tricky situations out of position
      That's a good start.

Remember to always try to look at the opponents left to act (and those that acted already) and see if any of the information you have on them will allow you to make an adjustment to the SHC.

As you become more experienced and more skilled you'll see many spots where you can play more/less hands.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

HERE IS MY POSTED HAND :)

I also wonder if there are any spots where playing hands like KQs preflop against a raiser can be profitable. Its understandable that lying them down keeps me out of difficult spots, but i see other successful players play them. Maybe its something ill learn later on?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

My calculation using Equilator looks like this

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.33%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.67%  45.26%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      Generally speaking KQ is playable against most people that are not overly tight.

The way you play it differs from position to position.

For example, I'd recommend still folding it versus EP raises but if you play vs CO you can look at calling and playing it IP (when you are on the BTN).

As you progress through the course and attend coachings/watch videos you will get to learn how to play more hands, such as this one.

Best of luck and keep up the great work,

Bogdan

PS: that graphs and stats look like a good start for a beginner player. As you get more experience you'll be able to play a few more hands.
    • telegeek
      telegeek
      Bronze
      I have since about middle of month when i started the beginners course played BSS exclusively, now playing NL2 Zoom to rebuild bankroll after a downswing on a attempt at NL10 that left me basically back to 0. I love BSS compared to MSS :)

Thanks alot for replies and inputs, will play some more before i post anything exept homeworks :)

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

DONE!!!

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.85%   0.38% { 3d3c }

On flop:

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would have called this. First of all, if u see this for the flush draw, u get about 4,1 to 1 and need 4 to 1 (i think) to call profitable for 1 street to a flush. Perhaps even a bit higher on the river as there are one less non-club in the deck? Dunno if that influences anything.

But there are the posibilities of board pairing and ur hand getting beat even tho u hit, but i still think the call will be profitable, as u might be able to extract more (implied odds?) on the river if u hit and if im not thinking wrong, there are a whole lot of hands in a normal villains range u have beat that he can continue with, like high pocket pairs and such, the positbility of him holding either 33 or 66 doesnt count for 100% of his holdings.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation

My AQ postflop questions
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Congrats,

Homework 3 is now complete.

It looks like MBML answered your question as well.

Don't be afraid to post more hands in the forums for us to help you with.

As a side note, why did you allow your BR to reach almost 0 before moving down?