Dreams and Aspirations

• maythany

I'm wondering if anyone has been in my position before and what did you do to push yourself?

My story: I started playing 6 max $1.50 2 months ago. I got some coaching sessions and that really helped me become a better poker player. I would play poker 4-5 hrs whenever I got home and I worked 12 hours during that time.

So I would give up sleep in order to play poker because I had a goal I was gunning towards. Eventually I played about 980ish $1.50 games and decided my game was good enough to move up to the $3.50s. I played like 20 games and decided to read the mental game of poker by Jared. After I started reading that book, something happened to me.....

I can't explain it, but I started playing less and eventually didn't play at all for a month straight. I would always make plans like "okay, I get off at 6 p.m. today and it takes me an hr to get home. I'll do this, do that and then play poker for the rest of the time that I have", but I never follow through.

I stopped going on skype(poker 6 max group), and I've been making lame excuses as to why I shouldn't be playing poker right now. Maybe it's because my goal is too unrealistic (becoming a supernova)?. It'll be a long hard road to reach my goal and that's probably why I am unmotivated? Because I subconsciously know the hours I have to commit and the sacrifices I need to make in order to reach my goals?

I don't really know, and I feel sort of stupid asking this question, but I just can't seem to put my foot on the pedal and keep it there.

Edit: I've been playing poker since I was 19 so it's not new to me.
  • 3 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Many possible reasons. You can either write a vision statement (check chapter 1 of my productivity guide in "learn to win" section of the forums, or you can simply start playing before you go to work (this is a quick fix though).

I also recommend you to read the "projects" section of my productivity guide.

• Benm473
      Just wondering if playing for fun and to work out where improvements in your game can be made is a better reason than grinding supernova.

Afterall a lot of the big names literally play because the enjoy the challenge (obvs money too but its not everything) I think enjoying what you are doing and having fun whether up or down may help you get back on track too.
    • TinoLaan
      That does sound pretty reasonable.

I think if you can set goals for yourself that are realistic and reasonable, yet still challenging, you will improve yourself as a poker player. But that applies to all aspects of life, really. Then if you achieve those goals, you can just set slightly more difficult goals for yourself, and so on. So eventually you can definitely set yourself a goal of reaching SN, but it might be a bit unrealistic at this point.

That's just my view on it though :)