Coping with the swings

• changyUK
      Hi to all

This is my first post, hopefully the first of many!

I have been playing poker about 35 years, I'm a competent player as I have never played seriously full time. I just returning to poker after a 6 year hiatus. I'm finding it hard to get over that winning line. I play tournaments mainly with $5-$20 buy-in.

I've played about 20 MTTs in the last 4 days and whilst I have won 3 and placed in 7 others I just fall at the last hurdle in the big money. I hate being bubble boy

I am not playing junk, I know Omaha quite well but I seem to come unstuck when the money kicks in. I don't think I change my style but perhaps I need to check. I just seem to get the good hand, raise get a fish on the line and he almost always hits the river card. I went through my last two defeats and each time a guy caught runner runner to beat me. I just don;t see what else I could've done to win the pot.

My worst one was losing to a guy when I held AAKK double suited :D It's what you dream of when you are close to the money and whilst you may only be 65% fav I'll take that.

I was in the BB and praying for a bet from someone. The button obliged so I re-raised so did he and we get it all in. He showed 2 3 4 5 ?( ?(

So why is this guy raising like this with garbage? I managed to lose again despite hitting A K on an AK7 flop. He hit 6 8 for a straight. Okay so I know it happens but when the hand was over someone asked this guy what was he doing calling with that hand. He said he had a 2 3 4 5 so any A or 6 would give him a straight. This is not a wind up, this guy really did think that was correct.

I have come across other players who are playing as if it is Holdem and they seem to draw to miracle cards.

Okay I don;t want to turn it into a bad beat post but how do you guys cope with this? I mainly played live before 6-7 hours a night and almost all weekend if I could. Is it the quality of player? I know some people will say it is volume of hands but that apart I have played tens of thousands of hands live and you rarely find someone playing Omaha as if it was Holdem.

I just played a guy heads up $22 Omaha PL and I could be ahead on the flop or pre-flop this guy would just draw. I would get him down to 4BB he'd win a miraculous pot followed by another. He was like a bug you couldn't squash. I kept looking at his hands and trying to figure out what he was doing but it was beyond me.

Is it always this bad? I try and play decent hands with a bit of stealing if the texture of the board allows is but perhaps I should call with any 4 cards and take my chances. I am using Sharkscope to find the tables with the fish but they won't die and they outdraw me all the time.

Please guys tell me it gets better!

• 3 replies
    • ains21
      The only way to deal with the frustration of bad beats/swings is through constant exposure: the more you experience, the less it stings. Also, having a very nitty BRM helps insofar as each loss doesn't seem as dramatic.

Good luck.
    • changyUK
      Originally posted by ains21
      The only way to deal with the frustration of bad beats/swings is through constant exposure: the more you experience, the less it stings. Also, having a very nitty BRM helps insofar as each loss doesn't seem as dramatic.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply I am trying to manage my bankroll correctly. I have $600 in my account and I am playing $6 SnG and MTT up to $20. This should allow me to handle the variance, although my luck today may scupper that belief!!

Just had another couple of awful beats put on me.

Flop gave me nut straight with a draw to the nut flush so I make a raise. I want money in the pot as IMHO what's the point of having such a strong hand if you don't get paid on it. Perhaps my thinking is flawed after this result

Fish turned over the under straight with no apparent redraw. Until it came :heart: :heart: and he made a 9 high flush! The flop was :spade: :spade: :heart:

Then I recover my losses and am sat handily 4th in the tourney with about 9K in chips when I am dealt A :heart: K :heart: A :spade: Q :spade:

Three limpers so I raised the pot. They all fold except on guy who re-raises me. I call and the flop came

Q :heart: 9 :heart: 7 :heart: :D :D

I cannot believe my luck but the other guy bets the pot :f_o: :f_o:

It all goes in on the flop and he shows Q :club: 3 :diamond: 6 :spade: J :club: ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(

So off the top of my head I reckon on being a 95% favourite

Turn 3 :club:

River 3 :heart:

So I ask you, how can you win against play like that? The chat was hilarious but it is soul destroying. Okay so long term I will beat these guys but hell it is going to be a struggle!

I'm stopping for today; 7 tournaments 7 suckouts when getting the money in good! Sunshine here I come!
    • changyUK

I just won two tourneys worth $290 in total. Finally I played good cards and it paid off. I watched people going bet crazy in the early rounds as it was a rebuy up to level 6. I had a couple of double ups and didn't take an add-on.

In the first I made $117 and lost on a suckout again!

In the 2nd I lost fair and square to the better hand. I had been card dead and with about 9BB left I was dealt a medium hand and decided to go for it. I lost to a better hand and was never likely to outdraw my opponent.

There is light at the end of this very long tunnel!!