delete's blog

• delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Been playing a couple of weeks now, about time I started one of these.
      Before coming here I played a lot of play money on pokerstars - too much really, but while playing for play money I read a lot about bankroll management, table selection, outs and odds, styles of play and various other things - and I am glad I learned that stuff before I started dealing with real money.
      At this stage I am not interested in climbing limits, making profit or climbing ps levels - the only goal in front of me is learning as much as I possibly can, any profit I make I view as a side effect of the learning process. Having said that, it is nice to pass certain milestones - making silver on this site, next milestone is turning the starting $50 into $100,(almost there) then clearing the first bonus, moving from nl10 to nl25 etc.
      Anyway the main reason for this blog is to get tips and pointers from other members here, so feel free to criticize what I am doing
      I am playing 3 tables at once on Party Poker nl10 with the Shortstack Strategy
      current bankroll: $92.78
  • 13 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello delete461

First off great to see you opening a blog, and as a first pointer I can only say that...

At this stage I am not interested in climbing limits, making profit or climbing ps levels - the only goal in front of me is learning as much as I possibly can, any profit I make I view as a side effect of the learning process.

This is absolutely the best mindset to have at the moment - and more or less the only one that will turn you into a consistently winning player! So as far as I can see you are currently on the correct path and I look forward to seeing your progress :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Thanks for the encouragement
      I usually play in sessions of 2 - 3 hours - the first 30 or 40 minutes studying theory, a couple of hours playing, then another half hour or so rereading and reviewing what I am trying to learn. I started with this pattern even while I was on play money tables, and I sometimes spend 10 or 15 sessions in a row studying the exact same article. This makes progress through the material rather slow but I want to master each aspect rather than just learn it, and I have given myself a realistic timeframe to achieve my long term goals in poker.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      This was my first month of playing poker for real money, for my own future reference I have decided to write a review at the end of each month and set myself goals for the coming month. Given the amazing amount I have learned, I probably should have done this on a weekly basis at the beginning.

Bankroll at beginning of August: $0
      Played: 8,200 hands of NL10 SSS FR - winrate 10.22 bb/hh
      Bankroll at end of August: $133.79
      Profit for August 2008: $133.79
      - $50 starting bonus cleared at Party Poker
      - $83.79 winnings

What have I learned - where do I start, I have learned so much in one month it is amazing and exciting to think where I could be by the end of the year if my progress continues at this rate. Playing strictly the Shortstack strategy, I have memorized the SHC to the point where I dont even have to think about it, although my postflop play is still a bit weak I need to study the postflop push or fold chart some more. Still have a long way to go before I master the strategy.
      Multitabling - I can play 4 tables at once, I tried 5 a couple of times but got muddled up and made some big mistakes so now I stick to 4 - if the action is slow I simply change a couple of them to speed tables and can play around 280 - 300 hands/hour.
      poker records - I have downloaded the elephant to keep track of my stats, I dont use the hud display because I will lose that feature when the trial expires and when I start using it I want to learn it properly and use the stats in my decision making. Using the HUD slows my comp down anyway and makes it difficult to multitable.
      And possibly the biggest lesson of all came in the last week, I had a major crisis of confidence when I lost money for several days in a row and couldnt seem to break the $120 mark. I lost my motivation to play, I would end sessions after about half an hour because I just couldnt be bothered, it wasnt fun for me anymore. I even decided I was done with cash games, I would just clear the bonus then switch to sngs. While clearing the bonus in the last couple of days however I started getting lucky again and now I am keen to continue. The last week has really sucked, but nonetheless I am glad to have experienced it and hopefully in the long term I will be a stronger player because of it. Amazing how much can happen in a month.

My goals for September 2008:

- To play at least 10k hands of NL25
      - To re-read every basic, bronze and silver article relating to the SSS at least twice
      - To get into the habit of reviewing hand histories at the end of every session and figure out how I could have played it better
      - To clear $75 of the next $100 bonus at party
      - To get 1,000 strategypoints needed for elephant license
      - To improve my multitabling to playing 400 hands/hour comfortably without making mistakes

Any advice on what other goals to set would be much welcomed - keeping in mind that learning is much more important to me than making money at this stage. Should I keep trying to learn new things, or should I step back and focus on mastering the things I have already learned?
    • Berra
      Berra
      Bronze
      Nice blog, very well written.

Remember that if you have another downswing that it is important not to alter the path. I mean many people move to higher stakes or starts to makes changes to their games. This usually only makes things worse and they go broke. The real solution is to hang in there and stay focused and on path which will turn the results in the right direction again eventually.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Thanks Berra. I have heard others here say the same things and I try to follow their advice, but reading comments about downswings and experiencing one yourself are two very different things. The main thing is to learn as much as I can from it, so next time I will be mentally prepared to grind through it. And like I said, I am glad to have experienced it - it all contributes to the learning process
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      A fellow NL25 PartyPoker player. :)

Do you play with Stats?
      Whats your username there, I might have spotted you already hihi
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Hi Gerv

username on all sites is delete461, though we are in opposite timezones so unless you play between about 7am - 10am its unlikely we've met

I dont use stats because I still only have the trial elephant and will lose that feature for awhile, when I start using stats I want to keep using them all the time and do it properly
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      So you are an Aussie as well? or Canadian?

Right I only got 16 hands of you which one is K6o :P ,
      Oh well we soon see each other I hope ;) Good luck!
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      New Zealand here
      What is your username on Party? I have only played 3 or 400 hands at nl25, just switched from nl10
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461
      New Zealand here
      What is your username on Party? I have only played 3 or 400 hands at nl25, just switched from nl10
      Gervified ;) I play with Stats though
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      After about 1200 hands of nl25 I am down $25 - all the targets I set myself for the month seem easily obtainable though, perhaps I should have been more ambitious. New goals - play 15,000 hands, clear the whole $100, and record a positive winrate.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Played about 2,500 hands of NL25 and lost $70 at -11bb/hh. Picked up the first $25 at party though, bankroll now $88. I found that deviating slightly from the SHC, while still making profits at NL10, have seen me severely punished at NL25. After losing about $40 I learned to follow the correct strategy exactly, have been doing it since and it definitely slowed the rot, but I am still steadily losing money so I have just switched back to NL10 where I will probably stay for at least the rest of the month. My plan now is to keep grinding Nl10 until I clear the whole $100 bonus at Party, then switch to Pokerstars and start learning the Big Stack Strategy.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Playing 6 tables comfortably now with NL10. Lessons learned so far this month:
      - time management - dont play when there is a good chance of being interrupted. Use this time to browse articles and forums, and play only when there will be no interruptions.
      - goal setting - setting a goal to play 10k hands was a mistake - trying to achieve this I force myself to spend more time playing and less time studying. I want to spend about 50% of my poker time studying theory and evaluating plays.

My new plan is to clear the bonus at party then spend the rest of this year learning the big stack strategy - by the end of the year I hope to be consistently winning low limits with the BSS. Then next year I will start a monthly program of targeted learning - spend a month learning everything I can about the psychology of poker, another month studying mathematics of the game, another month studying opponent reads etc. - although I have already noticed that long term goals dont always pan out the way you plan, as I learn more I sometimes realise the goals I had set previously were not the best way to go. So for now I am only concerned with playing SSS properly until the end of September then reevaluate where I am and where I am going.