This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 ZOOM: AJ 3bet pot

• yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Silver
      villain playing 19/13/4.5 3bet through 815 hands
      has not check/raised flop in 12 hands

villain's line seems full of shit so often.

what hands can villain have here?
      AQ/KQs would likely fold pre (i would imagine), and if they make it to flop, would likely only xc

QQ i dont think would often xr since board is crushed/so dry

KK+ would likely 4bet pre.

that leaves maybe 99-JJ and AK that turn hands into bluff.

i think by flatting xr i can still rep QQ+ in this spot, and villain will pretty much always shut down bluffs on turn i would imagine vs my line.

obviously this hand can be viewed as possible huge spew by myself, so any feedback would be great!

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $50.25 (100.5 bb)
      SB: $50.25 (100.5 bb)
      BB: $62 (124 bb)
      UTG: $67 (134 bb)
      Hero (MP): $80.21 (160.4 bb)
      CO: $130.05 (260.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J A
      UTG raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $4.50, 3 folds, BB calls $4, UTG folds

Flop: ($10.75) Q 2 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.50, BB raises to $15, Hero calls $9.50

Turn: ($40.75) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $13.50, BB folds

Results:
      $40.75 pot ($1.83 rake)
      Final Board: Q 2 2 K
      BB mucked and lost (-$19.50 net)
      Hero mucked J A and won $38.92 ($19.42 net)
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Yougotfelted51,

Tight players cold-calls vs 3bet - I'd usually assign him a strong range. 99+/AQ. You can partially discount KK/AA but not entirely.

I don't see any need to cbet the flop. Yes, it's dry, but most of villains range is not folding to one bet.

Vs check-raise I would fold. Yeah, I understand villains line is ridiculous on this texture. But you are effectively giving him credit for realising this by assuming his value range is non-existent - and I wouldn't give him that much credit unless you have reason to believe he is decent.

After flat, turn is played well, with good bet-sizing.
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Silver
      thanks w34z3l,

you are correct in that most of villain's range will not fold to 1 bet. it was my plan to barrel most turns in addition to my flop cbet. do you think that this plan is a solid one on such a board vs villain's perceived range and what we can represent?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

I would tend towards just shutting down rather than firing 2barrels, simply because I'd expect his range to be stronger than average.

If we assume 99+/AQ, that's roughly 60 combos, about half of which I'd expect villain to fold on a blank turn assuming he floats flop with entire range. So theoretically with less than pot-sized bet on turn could show a profit - but there are a lot of unknowns + it will be close, so I prefer giving up on flop.

As for what you represent, not a huge issue here. Your range is uncapped and you can easily hold QQ+ yourself.