[NL20-NL50] NL50 trips vs.unknown

• Yozan
      Yozan
      Platinum
      $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $35.63 (71.3 bb)
      BTN: $50.94 (101.9 bb)
      Hero (SB): $50.25 (100.5 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $102.35 (204.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8 9
      2 folds, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.25, BB calls $1

Flop: ($4.50) J 2 8 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($4.50) 8 (3 players)
      Hero bets $3.37, BB calls $3.37, BTN raises to $6.74, Hero ???
      BB: fish, BTN: unknown
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: As much as possible I would avoid calling in the SB. Especially vs 3bb opens, I just think that nothing great ever happens for you. I would 3bet to $5 here.

Flop: checking seems standard.

Turn: Definitely leading here. BTN is repping a set and I think you are an underdog vs most 8X hands. Re-raising here also forces the fish out of the hand. I think you should flat here and hope that you are good on the River. Would I fold vs a river bet? I think you can call the River, trips seems a little too strong to fold vs an unknown.

Thanks.
    • pokerferrer
      pokerferrer
      Bronze
      mbml, and how do you plan to play such hands vs unknown in a 3bet pot? cbet and check-fold turn with air or even tp?
      I think if bb is a pretty big fish calling preflop is really ok, and 3bet will move us in a tough spot if we get called. So by default I would play fold preflop or just calling.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      you have a point about letting the fish in. Without the fish I would definitely not call here.

About postflop play in 3b pots: I would often cbet and c/c Turn or maybe just c/c Flop immediately. Postflop play isn't going to be that easy with marginal hands but as long as your range is sufficiently balanced you can make fairly decent decisions and not get worried about being exploited too hard vs multiple barrels because you should have a sufficient amount of strong hands to call down 3 streets.
    • pokerferrer
      pokerferrer
      Bronze
      And what the point in 3betting suited connectors out of position? Which hands do we balance with them?
      Also balancing vs unknown isn't what we have to do. So I am pretty sure it isn't a good spot for 3betting. :)