[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL20 AQo

    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.04.2009 Posts: 310
      BTN: $44.48
      SB: $32.76
      BB: $23.32 - reg
      UTG: $81.53 - fish
      Hero (MP): $20.30
      CO: $20.00 - probably reg. he was multitabling, I had only ~15 hands on him playing 22/20.

      Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is MP with A :diamond: Q :club:
      UTG raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $2, CO calls $2, 2 folds, BB calls $1.80, UTG calls $1.50

      (UTG is a fish, never folded to 3bets so I try to isolate him.)

      Flop: ($8.10) Q :diamond: 3 :spade: 2 :diamond: (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $4.60, CO calls $4.60, BB folds, UTG folds

      Turn: ($17.30) 8 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $13.40, Hero calls $13.40

      I really hate these multiway 3bet pots. I hate to fold my top pair top kicker but if I get action from a reg I feel that I am very often beat.

      If I bet flop how much should I bet here? Move allin on the turn myself or c/c?

      Other lines that I should be taking post flop?


      Thanks!
  • 8 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Hi Zobu,

      Preflop: looks fine

      Postflop: Good flop for our hand and with so many people in the pot we can definitely bet larger. I'd bet around $6.

      As played what range do you have villain on? You block the NFD which is key here because it reduces the number of flush combos.

      But if we would have bet 6 on the flop we can easily shove turn and still expect some Qx and draws to call.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.04.2009 Posts: 310
      When a reg coldcalls 3bet I usually give him a very narrow and strong range. Something like TT-QQ and AK. He might sometimes have KK and AA, sometimes smaller pocket pairs 88, 99. Until I see him show down something weird I don't put him on speculative hands like suited connectors and such. I honestly don't think there are many (if any!) Qx hands in his range (I'm talking about first coldcaller on CO. BB's range has many more speculative hands).

      My thoughts on the flop are that if I bet large I will get called by regs only if they beat me. If I bet small (like here over 1/2 pot) they once in a while could make a mistake by calling with something like TT or JJ and then stack of on later street when pot is large and stacks are small in comparison to pot. But yeah- I hate this situation. I expect to get many folds on the flop here and if I get action I expect myself to be beat very often.

      Any comments on my thoughts? What range would you give NL20 reg when he coldcalls 3bet preflop?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      When a reg coldcalls 3bet I usually give him a very narrow and strong range. Something like TT-QQ and AK. He might sometimes have KK and AA, sometimes smaller pocket pairs 88, 99. Until I see him show down something weird I don't put him on speculative hands like suited connectors and such. I honestly don't think there are many (if any!) Qx hands in his range (I'm talking about first coldcaller on CO. BB's range has many more speculative hands).

      My thoughts on the flop are that if I bet large I will get called by regs only if they beat me. If I bet small (like here over 1/2 pot) they once in a while could make a mistake by calling with something like TT or JJ and then stack of on later street when pot is large and stacks are small in comparison to pot. But yeah- I hate this situation. I expect to get many folds on the flop here and if I get action I expect myself to be beat very often.

      Any comments on my thoughts? What range would you give NL20 reg when he coldcalls 3bet preflop?
      You 3-bet preflop (a fish) and then you cbet into a 4 way pot. Does our range ever look weak despite the bet size?

      I can't imagine ranges for calling you on the flop change that much given different bet sizes. Put yourself in CO's shoes. Would you call JJ, with two guys behind, in a 3-bet pot, just because the PFR made the cbet slightly smaller?
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.04.2009 Posts: 310
      You are right of course. But what am I to learn from this situation? That I can not get rid of this hand, I just have to bet bigger on the flop and call it a cooler when reg gives me action?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      You are right of course. But what am I to learn from this situation? That I can not get rid of this hand, I just have to bet bigger on the flop and call it a cooler when reg gives me action?
      No, definitely not.

      I think that you can even ck/fold the turn as played given that we expect the opponent to have no weaker hands in his range. Best case scenario he has an AQ hand as well.

      I would not bet the flop bigger for CO but rather for the fish. After all he is our main target (hence our 3-bet preflop).
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.04.2009 Posts: 310
      I see. One more question: let's say we bet $6 on the flop. CO calls. On the turn pot is $20,10. We have $12. Villain's range is the same- we basically beat nothing. Why do we bet allin then? Or are my assumptions of villain's range all wrong?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      I see. One more question: let's say we bet $6 on the flop. CO calls. On the turn pot is $20,10. We have $12. Villain's range is the same- we basically beat nothing. Why do we bet allin then? Or are my assumptions of villain's range all wrong?
      If CO calls we can play the same as if we bet smaller on the flop imo. I feel his range is rather strong in this spot so on the turn we don't beat anything that would make sense.

      My comment regarding betting bigger and shoving easier was more geared towards the weaker opponents (but I can see I made a poor effort of phrasing it properly in my first reply as it implies I am talking about this scenario only).
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Joined: 10.04.2009 Posts: 310
      Ok, now I get it. Thank you very much!